My dear friend Donna is here with me this week learning the ropes of my job, as she will be covering my maternity leave.
“I really understand why you love your job, Nicole.” she said to me on our way home last night.
I feel blessed to have a job that is incredibly challenging, rewarding, diverse, fulfilling, creative, robust, and active. No two days are alike and if anyone were to ever be bored in my job…well, then, they’re not really working.
A lot of people have shared with me that they don’t think I’ll want to go back to work after Shea’s birth, and that could be true…but we’ll see. I do have every intention of going back to work and that’s because I truly do love what I do. Plus it has been a hugely successful year for me professionally, and for that I am very proud.
I am finally Board Certified in Advanced Diabetes Management. I also passed the Certified Dietary Manager exam. My department satisfaction scores are excellent. The diabetes education program has grown leaps and bounds in the past year. And all along the way, it’s been FUN.
In the kitchen we continue to serve up new and old healthy favorites, encouraging healthy eating one lunch meal at a time. Yesterday was one of my personal favorites with the Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad with Creamy Poppyseed Dressing. Mmmm! It’s always fun to try new things…and to run a kitchen that has the ability and priority to truly drive change in an organization. It’s beyond rewarding to see.
We’ve also turned employees on to healthy breakfasts, particularly breakfasts of the grab-and-go variety. Among the favorites are breakfast cookies and we continue to alter the recipes to create breakfast cookies that are more loved than the last. Seeing as we live in the middle of the blueberry capital, these blueberry breakfast cookies became quite the hit this summer. As we slowly ease into fall, we’ll begin whipping out the apples again, however…no doubt about that.
And the pumpkin. Duh.
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white wheat flour
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup canola oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, applesauce, oil, and eggs.
- Mix wet ingredients into the dry; stir to combine. Fold in the walnuts, blueberries, and dried cranberries. Scoop approximately ⅓ cup of dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Press dough of each cookie down slightly with the palm of the hand to create approx. 4-inch diameter cookies.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until slightly golden. Let set on baking sheet a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
I am whipped after only Monday. Baaaah!!! No rest to be had before motherhood begins 🙂