First things first, thank you for all the sweet messages and inquiries, but sadly, I am still very pregnant. And uncomfortable. And ornery. And growing extremely impatient.
My OB visit on Thursday afternoon didn’t go as planned. While I went in expecting details of when to arrive in labor and delivery the following day, they were instead informing me that labor and delivery was full and they were going to reschedule my induction to begin Sunday night.
Punch to the gut. Which hurts even more when you’re 9 months pregnant (over it) and beyond ready to meet your daughter already.
I didn’t cry, but there was some pouting and my mood was less than stellar. My mood is less than stellar.
I’ve tried to embrace the additional time, just the 2 of us, but quite frankly, it has been a lot of lounging around and a lot of sleeping. I did finish Gone Girl in just a few short reading sessions and it was great. Assuming I don’t go into labor before a matinee tomorrow, we’re going to see the movie before I HOPEFULLY end up in labor and delivery for my induction.
I swear, I’m becoming cynical and truly feel as though I may be pregnant forever…
Today was also spent watching a very disappointing performance by my beloved Illini…who got beat, at home, by PURDUE. It was a race to the bottom of the Big 10 conference, and I do believe we just landed our spot at the very bottom.
At least football Saturdays are accompanied by delicious chili recipes, or else I’d be tempted to just give up on football all together.
The chili contest marches on with another delicious recipe — a broth base that is turned thick and creamy with the addition of flour and just a bit of whole milk. I love the beans and lean chicken with the traditional spices, jalapenos, and onion. Picking a winner this year is going to be no easy task!
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2-4 jalapenos, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 4 tsp ancho chili pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups (about 18 oz) shredded white meat rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted and hot, add the onion and saute 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add green pepper, jalapenos, and garlic; saute an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour, ancho chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt; stir until flour is absorbed and saute an additional 1 minute. Add in 1 cup chicken broth and whole milk, bring to a simmer.
- Stir in tomato paste, beans, chicken, corn, and olives. Add remaining broth, stir, and reduce heat to low. Cover pot and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid, simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
Okay, let’s all wish upon a lucky star that this baby comes sooner rather than later, mmkay? Group effort of positive thoughts here. 😉 Much appreciated!