How hard is it to get back in the groove after the holidays? Ugh. I’m guessing most of you are dreading a full work week ahead, just like me. Couple that with just coming off a 12 week maternity leave and Michigan’s first real cold front of the season and UGGGGGGGGGGH. No words can describe how badly I want to time hop a week or so.
But then again, my little babe will be THREE months old on Tuesday and my gosh, it’s just going too, too fast.
My mornings and evenings have turned into a three ring circus with trying to get myself, the dog, and the baby all taken care of (single parents and parents of multiple – you amaze me!). I’m emotionally struggling with the fact that the staff at the daycare see my daughter at least twice as much as me during the week and that is…so tough. As much as I enjoy my job, last week was an emotional roller coaster with tears and some major highs and lows.
My 2015 goals are pretty straight forward — make baklava (a favorite of mine that I’ve never tackled!), cook at least 1 recipe a month from an actual cookbook (I have 4.2 million of them, it’s about time I use them!), and to find our groove as a family. I want for each day to not feel like an overwhelming task, but to ease into a synchronized system that suits us all and one we can enjoy and maintain.
Of course my forever goal is to maintain health. I was fortunate enough to shed the 40 pounds of baby weight effortlessly, but starting Wednesday, I’m back to the grind with my trainer. This once weekly session will hopefully compliment my time playing tennis and hockey, and my runs and elliptical workouts at home.
I’m also still committed to healthy eating. Duh. 🙂 As always but more so than ever, I’m on the prowl for healthy, one pot, simple meals. This meal isn’t ready in 20 or less, but all of the prep can be done ahead of time, and it involves very little hands-on time. Two thumbs up from Mr. P and I taste-wise, too!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup low-sodium beef stock
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup 2% shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced, to garnish
- Over medium heat, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add the beef and cook until little pink remains, breaking up with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes.
- To the skillet, add the onion and diced bell peppers. Cook until softened and beef is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the can of diced tomatoes, salsa, and brown rice; cook 1-2 minutes, stirring well to allow the rice to absorb the flavors. Add the beef stock, cumin, cayenne, chili powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika; stir well.
- Cover and cook 35-45 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Top with cheese and sliced green onions before serving.
Weekly Menu: January 4th – January 8th
- Sunday: Pesto Chicken Lasagna with salad
- Monday: Thai Green Curry with Shrimp and Kale
- Tuesday: Easy Baked Honey Mustard Chicken with Cardamom-Glazed Carrots
- Wednesday: French Onion Soup
- Thursday: Sausage and Apple-Stuffed Acorn Squash
Off to the grocery store while Shea takes her marathon morning nap 😉