I work with one other RD and she and I were talking about favorite foods the other day. She confessed to loving french fries and donuts — I mean, who doesn’t love french fries and donuts? It also happened to be National Donut Day.
It’s always fun to talk food with dietitians because even though it’s our job to help others eat more wholesome, it doesn’t mean we don’t love all the bad stuff, too. It only makes us human. It makes us human, also, that we probably choose to partake in a treat from time to time. Let me be clear, however, eating lunch with us (and our diabetes nurse educator coworkers) is like looking at a centerfold in a Clean Eating magazine.
So when one of my coworkers celebrated a birthday recently, we all brought in something to share. There was lots healthy and a few not-so-healthy choices, too. It was celebration-appropriate, let’s say.
I chose to bring in these cookies which I had saved from the package of Bob’s Red Mill’s whole wheat pastry flour many moons ago. In fact, I had to rummage through the trash to retrieve the recipe as Mr. P had finally gotten sick of seeing it juggled around the heaps of collected STUFF that travels over the kitchen counters over the weeks (…months).
As someone who would choose honey as their most-loved sweetener, these were fantastic little cookies. Sweet and very moist, they practically melted in your mouth — also with thanks to the abundance of peanut butter in the recipe. There’s just no going wrong with honey and peanut butter in cookie form, am I right?
This recipe makes lots to share – just be sure to store the leftovers in the fridge if they’re to keep for longer than a day or two. Enjoy!
- 1¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup natural smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup honey
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, honey, and softened butter. Add the egg and vanilla, mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture and combine well. Using a 1-inch scooper, scoop cookie dough into heaps on the parchment paper spaced 2 inches apart. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake cookies 10-12 minutes or until just golden around the edges. Allow to cook for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
I think i should try this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing 🙂
I love honey sooo much 🙂
Never tried peanut butter and honey together in a cookie. However, you have converted me – I shall have to make these soon.
These look delicious!
These look absolutely delicious. Golden brown and plated to perfection.
I love peanut butter, and they look yuummy
Just made these…fresh out of the oven…way too sweet for my taste…will try again with half the amount of honey or less