When I’m up in the middle of the night nursing the baby, I often goof around on my phone. I’ll peruse Pinterest, check out Instagram, poke around Facebook…check the weather, you know, whatever.
Last night when I was up (several times…), I checked the weather at one point to see that it’s going to be in the 50’s this weekend! It’s January in Michigan, you guys! I’m pumped. The older I get, the less and less I like snow – it just complicates things.
So, yep, just in time for Shea’s new snow pants to arrive in the mail, we’ll be welcoming in a winter heat wave. But that’s okay, it’s never too hot for comfort foods, and I can’t say I’ll be disappointed not to be spending precious weekend time blowing snow.
But I’ll be honest, this soup looks all the more appealing to me with the rice. I don’t particularly love rice (Team Pasta!), but in soups, I’m a huge fan. And in this soup, it makes it thick and hearty and perfect for those brisk winter days. Or the not-so-brisk winter days, whichever.
While I can’t make this soup until Whole30 has come to an end, I will be doing so VERY soon. Packed with vegetables, fiber-rich beans, and lean chicken breasts, this soup is the perfect way to enjoy comfort food without all the calories.
Best yet, not only do we look forward to making this soup again, but the 2-year-old does, too. I just wish I loved her eating soup as much as she loves eating it. What a messssssssss.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4 oz) can mild diced green chilies
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Heat olive oil and melt butter over medium-high heat in a large stock pot. Add chicken and onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, garlic, flour, and all seasonings/spices. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add rice, black beans, green chilies, crushed tomatoes and 3 cans chicken broth; mix well.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the last can of chicken broth and stir into the soup. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer on medium low, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until rice is cooked. Serve hot.