I’m so glad I’m not all-out Whole30-ing. It was in the upper 60’s and STUNNING outside on Friday. My mom came to visit and we went to a brewery – we were sitting outside, without jackets, and simply loving life. I had my favorite people in my favorite weather…drinking my favorite adult beverage. It was a pinch-me kind of moment seeing as this is southwest Michigan in FEBRUARY…and my two littles so rarely remain on their best behavior while in public.
So, to say the weekend got started off right is quite the understatement.
Saturday was full of tennis for me, gymnastics with Shea, and a walk downtown with my mom and Piper while Shea napped. We spent tons of time outside, and some time with my new (to me) double stroller. Thank goodness for Craigs List!
We went out for dinner and had a delicious salad and some mediocre pizza…and ran into lots of people we knew who were out and about, also enjoying the unseasonably amazing weather. And the best part? Bed before 10pm.
I know, I’m such a livewire.
Begrudgingly, I’ll need to spend a portion of this beautiful day grocery shopping. At least my laundry is all done for the week? All 32 loads or so. (Ridic.) I’ve also given up on elaborate meals for the week – the weather is supposed to be AMAZING this week and I refuse to spend any more of it indoors than I have to. Grill, I’m comin’ for ya.
Quick and easy like the grill, there’s always pasta. We all love it and it’s so, so easy. This one-pot meal has enough to please the toddler, enough protein to appease my husband, and few enough dishes I’m over the moon. Plus, it has loads of flavor from the bit of chorizo and some good-for-you ingredients like spinach, tomatoes, peppers, and onion. Enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1½ Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 3 oz chorizo
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cups (~8 oz) uncooked pasta
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 5 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add chicken to skillet and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until no longer pink. Add chorizo and break-up with a wooden spoon; cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add garlic and cook an additional 30-60 seconds.
- Add peppers, pasta, diced tomatoes, and chicken stock; stir well. Bring to a boil, stir, then place a lid or some foil over the pan. Turn the heat down and let the pasta simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cream, and cook 1-2 minutes more. Add spinach and tomatoes. Carefully stir and allow spinach to wilt for 1-2 minutes. Serve hot.
Weekly Menu: February 19th – 23rd
- Sunday: Roasted Red Pepper “Bisque”
- Monday: Cobb Salad with salmon
- Tuesday: BBQ Chicken Tostadas with Avocado Spread
- Wednesday: Grilled salmon, potatoes, and vegetables
- Thursday: Book Club – dinner out!