My goal for this weekend was really to recharge myself and reconnect with Mark. I feel like we’ve been in survival mode and we were needing some lightness and laughs. We needed a date and to do little things, like hold hands in the car. And sleep. Yes, sleep.
The weekends seem so short because really, Sunday is spent preparing for Monday and the rest of the week. It doesn’t ever feel like much of a weekend day at all. And is it just me, or does Sunday evening fly by in the blink of an eye? What’s up with that?
I’ve still got a LOT of laundry to do and a workout to get in, but yesterday was a day well-spent. I was able to recharge myself by playing tennis for 90 minutes, followed by a long chat with a friend and coworker after our match, followed by a 4 mile run, and then another chat with a friend from the gym. It was 3 hours of uninterrupted mommy time and boy did it feel good!
Last night, Mark and I checked out a new brewery and a new restaurant and that was after we went grocery shopping together, without kiddos in tow. Thank goodness for grandparents!
My mistake this weekend was putting Mark in charge of the weekly menu. He pulled out some of his most labor-intensive favorites to eat this week. But since I asked for his input, I guess I can’t complain about his choices. We settled on trying a new Chicken Tikka Masala recipe because there’s never a shortage of Chicken Tikka Masala recipes to try.
However, this recipe for Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu is one Mark would never choose. He has this hang-up on ham, insisting that he doesn’t care for it. I call his bluff – he eats LOTS of things with ham, including this recipe…which he thoroughly enjoyed. Some foodie friends loved this recipe and we agreed. The original recipe actually calls for a rich, creamy cheese sauce to go over the top, but I accidentally forgot the sauce and liked the dish just fine without – a calorie savings, for sure!
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved width-wise to create 2 thinner breasts
- ¼ tsp salt and black pepper
- 8 oz shaved ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup panko
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Mist a 9x13 inch dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange thinned chicken breasts on the bottom of the dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer ham over each piece of chicken, followed by a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Mix the panko and melted butter; sprinkle over the chicken.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Weekly Menu: March 19th – 23rd
- Sunday: Chicken Tikka Masala with naan
- Monday: leftovers
- Tuesday: Biggest Loser “Fried” Chicken with roasted potatoes
- Wednesday: leftovers
- Thursday: Buffalo Chicken Lasagna with salad
This is a fast and easy recipe. I agree, it doesn’t need the sauce