My house looks like an Amazon fulfilment center that got hit by a tornado. Must be December! Santa’s stash is in the front closet and everything is wrapped – success!
It was a fairly productive weekend, or at least today was. But Saturday was more fun as my parents were in town for a visit. They had come with the intent to take Shea to see the Nutcracker…except someone woke up REALLY unhappy from her nap and so that never happened. #threenager Hopefully next year.
Just when I had run out of patience points with the girls this afternoon, Mark took them out shopping. I wasn’t expecting a full 2 hours of peace and quiet, but I was able to make Mexican Rice for tomorrow night, make Broccoli Cheddar Soup for tonight, make all of our lunches for tomorrow, shower, photograph the soup, clean up the kitchen, and clean-up around the house a bit.
I ended up having to rewarm the girls’ soup because they stayed out later than I was expecting. But, I’m not complaining. Mama needed some alone time to jam out to Christmas music and get stuff done.
P.S. They didn’t eat the soup anyway. Annoying.
As Christmas approaches, I decided to hold an accountability challenge on my Prevention RD Facebook page. Please join in! Each week there will be 3 challenges. If you complete them, you get a chance to win one of my cookbooks! And, you get better health this December. Win-win!
To kick off the challenge, here’s a delicious, healthy recipe that is Paleo, Whole30, gluten-free, low-carb, and SO easy to make. I absolutely love carnitas, but the recipe I’ve used in the past requires browning the meat in a skillet before transferring to the crock pot. And, that’s fine, but….dishes. This is so much easier. The freshness from the orange, lime, jalapeno, and onion is unique, too. Throw it in tortillas, eat it in a burrito bowl, and use the leftovers over salad, in quesadillas – the options are endless!
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs pork loin, trimmed
- ½ onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- Combine rub ingredients in a small bowl; mix well to combine. Rub over entire surface of the pork loin and transfer to the crock pot.
- Top the pork with the remaining ingredients, cover with the lid, and cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove meat from crock pot and shred between two forks. Return to crock pot to keep hot before serving.
Recipe from 40 Aprons and originally, Recipe Tin Eats
Weekly Menu: December 3rd – 7th
- Sunday: Broccoli and Cheese Soup with baguette
- Monday: beef tacos and Mexican Rice
- Tuesday: leftovers, I have tennis at 6pm
- Wednesday: Creamy Cauliflower Sauce over pasta with roasted brussels sprouts
- Thursday: Cabbage, Sausage, and Potato Soup
Could you use a bit of accountability this December? Hop on over to my Facebook page to check out the details. Don’t delay – the challenge starts tomorrow. Better health AND the chance to win one of my cookbooks each week? Oh yeah!