My parents and brother were in for a visit this weekend and we probably had too much fun. We did some day drinking at local breweries, played hockey in the driveway, and took lots of
pictures selfies. I haven’t gotten a chance to hangout with my brother in a long time and it was loads of fun.
- 2¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ Tbsp canola oil
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups carrots, peeled and shredded (about 2 lbs)
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 oz ⅓ less fat Neufchatel cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp skim milk + more, if needed to thin
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and gently stir until blended. Fold in carrots and walnuts. Let batter sit for 10 minutes.
- Microwave the cream cheese for about 15-20 seconds to soften. Whisk the remaining ingredients for the glaze, adding additional milk, if needed, to thin.
- Meanwhile, preheat large nonstick skillet or griddle to medium heat.
- Pour batter onto griddle using a ¼ cup measuring cup, spreading the batter with the flat bottom. Flip pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked (about 2-3 minutes). Cook the other side until set (about 2 minutes). Serve warm with cream cheese glaze.
Weekly Menu: March 11th – 15th
- Sunday: Vegan Lentil Loaf with asparagus and potatoes
- Monday: Vegan Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup with baguette
- Tuesday: leftovers or homemade pizza with spinach salad
- Wednesday: Cuban Quinoa Bowl with Spicy Lemon Cashew Dressing
- Thursday: Broccoli Quinoa Skillet