My parents and brother were in for a visit this weekend and we probably had too much fun. We did some day drinking at local breweries, played hockey in the driveway, and took lots of
pictures selfies. I haven’t gotten a chance to hangout with my brother in a long time and it was loads of fun.
Mark and I had tried a new local place on Friday night and I sent my parents a picture of the menu including “fish fry Friday” – something they’re always in search of. So, they were pretty insistent on returning to this same pub on Saturday…at which point we had the same waitress. It was pretty embarrassing given that it hadn’t even been 24 hours between our two visits.
We wrapped a lot into their day visit on Saturday and with daylight savings, I slept through my opportunity to make a nice breakfast before church. After church, I spent 2 hours prepping all the meals for the week, as well as the girls’ lunches. It’s always time well spent but makes Sundays just fly by, leaving me feel like I was gypped out of my weekend. Okay, gypped out of my Sunday, anyway.
I also have a hockey game tonight which is better than Monday night, but it still makes for an abrupt end to the weekend…and not enough sleep. Tomorrow morning is going to be especially brutal. And as Mark pointed out to me recently, the stretch between New Years and spring break is the longest stretch of the year without a holiday or extended weekend. But, the break is in sight!
Speaking of break, I am in the final stages of cookbooking (cookbook #3!) with my publisher and with it being crunch time, they recently asked if I had any period of time upcoming where I wouldn’t be connected. And while spring break plans are upon us, I’m incapable of unplugging completely. I mean, how would one plan their weekly menu following their vacation without being connected? 🙂
I’m mostly kidding…if for no other reason that sometimes, recipe repeats are best. These carrot cake pancakes were published in my first cookbook, Prevention RD’s Everyday Healthy Cooking: 100 Light and Delicious Recipes to Promote Energy, Weight Loss, and Well-Being and are one of the recipes people gush over most. I mean, vegetables for breakfast while managing to layer in sweet cream cheese frosting? I speak this language BIG TIME.
Carrot Cake Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze
Author: Nicole Morrissey
Serves: 7 servings (2 pancakes each with about 1½ tablespoons glaze).
- 2¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ Tbsp canola oil
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups carrots, peeled and shredded (about 2 lbs)
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 oz ⅓ less fat Neufchatel cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp skim milk + more, if needed to thin
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and gently stir until blended. Fold in carrots and walnuts. Let batter sit for 10 minutes.
- Microwave the cream cheese for about 15-20 seconds to soften. Whisk the remaining ingredients for the glaze, adding additional milk, if needed, to thin.
- Meanwhile, preheat large nonstick skillet or griddle to medium heat.
- Pour batter onto griddle using a ¼ cup measuring cup, spreading the batter with the flat bottom. Flip pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked (about 2-3 minutes). Cook the other side until set (about 2 minutes). Serve warm with cream cheese glaze.
From my cookbook, Prevention RD's Everyday Healthy Cooking
Serving size: 2 pancakes each with about 1½ tablespoons glaze Calories: 365 Fat: 12.9 Carbohydrates: 50.6 Sodium: 644 Fiber: 6.4 Protein: 7.9 Cholesterol: 93
Weekly Menu: March 11th – 15th
- Sunday: Vegan Lentil Loaf with asparagus and potatoes
- Monday: Vegan Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup with baguette
- Tuesday: leftovers or homemade pizza with spinach salad
- Wednesday: Cuban Quinoa Bowl with Spicy Lemon Cashew Dressing
- Thursday: Broccoli Quinoa Skillet
So cheesy and yummy! My kids love pancake so much. I’d love to try this as it looks healthy because of the carrots.