I’m alive…and on vacation! I nearly had a post completed as we arrived way too early for our flight, but I haven’t touched my computer since we arrived on Saturday. Until now, obviously. I’ve also vowed not to do any work, but that isn’t going quite as well. I should’ve deleted my work email access from my phone!
Vacation is a funny thing for me. When I finally arrive with lofty goals of exercising every day (so far so good), playing tennis every day (so far so good), reading a book a day (miserably failing, but did finish Beartown – SO GOOD), and enjoy the beach and the pools equally and as much as possible (slacking because…sleep and exercise), there’s just not enough hours in the day. It’s also like the less you do the less you’re capable of doing. We are sleeping like it’s our job – 9-10 hours each night. I should enjoy it more but I definitely feel like it’s somewhat “wasted time”.
And then I remember we are vacationing without our 3-year-old and 1-year-old, and I resume enjoying the quiet, unproductive time and excessive amounts of sleep.
I slept through the 9am tennis clinic this morning (WHO AM I!?!) and so I had to drag Mark out to the tennis courts at the hottest point of the day, after we ran at the gym…but before our 1 hour hydrotherapy and 80 minute massage. This Monday is practically torture, obviously.
Am I the only one who hates getting to the halfway point of vacation and then just gets downright mopey about the time away coming to an end? It’s such a curse for me – I truly need to just RELAX and soak in every minute and stop getting several (dozen) steps ahead of myself.
I do appreciate productive yet wasted time, however. Like perusing menu options. This is forever going on from every device in my life and my Mondays are all the brighter from Cancun (or Michigan) when I can serve up a quick and easy, one skillet meal that your family is sure to enjoy. This will probably be on repeat when we return…because who can really handle any more than 1 dirty skillet when returning from vacation? Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1¾ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz (2½ cups) dry pasta
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup prepared pesto
- 5 oz fresh baby spinach
- ⅔ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large, deep skillet heat oil over medium heat. Once hot, add chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened, stirring often. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add pasta, water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until pasta is tender, about 10 to 13 minutes.
- When water is nearly absorbed, stir in the pesto, spinach, and half and half. Cook for 1-2 minutes until spinach is tender and wilted. Stir in Parmesan and serve hot.