I think Lily is the dog with 9 lives.
We have thought no less than 3 times now that Lily’s days were numbered. We’re on a bit of an emotional roller coaster. Girlfriend will be turning the big NINE on Friday and we’re just glad she’s feeling better and with us for the time being. As I told Mark last Thursday night as I was sobbing in bed, I just wish animals could talk. I wish she could tell us exactly how we can help and when the time comes, I pray for that clarity to know the time is right.
On Thursday, a local vet was able to do an abdominal ultrasound and determine that she was full of fluid (we knew this already) and they weren’t able to figure out why. Ultimately, there’s no good reason a dog’s abdominal cavity would fill with fluid and words like cancer and “advanced heart failure” were used. On Friday, Mark assisted our vet in removing 3.5 lbs of fluid from her, after which she has really rallied.
On Friday night, I wished for her only to have the opportunity to 1) get spoiled by our love so long as she’s well enough to do so and 2) to do the things she loves most just one more time – like sunbathe outside. Sorry for all of this sad talk, but pets are most definitely family and I consider her my first baby. And besides, who doesn’t want to go out of this world having recent memories of all of their most favorite things in the world?
If you’ve been on Instagram at all, you’ve probably seen some of Lily’s perky behavior this weekend. And fortunately, spring has finally (maybe? Hopefully?) sprung and temps are in the 60’s and with lots of sun. Girlfriend has had the opportunity to take full advantage and that makes both of us very happy.
With spring in the air, I’ve planned accordingly and we’re firing up the grill this week! I do love comfort food, but the lighter fare of the warmer months is my favorite. This recipe for portobellos was made for grilling, but thanks to being in Michigan, I did adapt it for the oven. Do know that these can just as easily be made on the grill and the result probably all the better!
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 12 oz turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 oz coarsely chopped spinach leaves
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella, divided
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Gently wash the portobellos and use a spoon to scrape out the inner gills of the cap (discard). Place mushrooms stem side up on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up into crumbles using a wooden spoon. Remove cooked sausage to a plate and return skillet to heat.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and once hot, add the onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, stir, and cook for 30-60 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed red pepper, and spinach. Allow spinach to heat through and wilt until bright green. Stir in ½ cup cheese.
- Fill each mushroom with ¼ the sausage mixture and bake for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining ½ cup mozzarella; return to oven to bake for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes before serving.
Weekly Menu: April 22nd – 26th
- Sunday: Grilled California Avocado Chicken with mashed potatoes
- Monday: grilled cheeseburgers and oven fries
- Tuesday: Spring Carbonara with baked salmon
- Wednesday: Mussels with Spicy Tomato Sauce, baguette, and salad
- Thursday: Black Bean Tostadas with Cabbage Slaw
I sorry to hear about your dog and i hope everything turn out fine. I know how it feels I had my dog for years she about to turn 13 years old and very day I see her is a joy she always so hyper and playful even at that her old age. Now about your recipe it look so delicious i can’t wait to give it a go. I will be paring it with this product i have been using for a while. Give it a look at https://bit.ly/2HMTCdC
I’m a dog lover as well, sorry to hear…I have 3 dogs myself and just adore them.
OMG, I just made this and I kept on saying the lord’s name in vain 🙂
The best recipe I’ve ever had! fantastic and the taste is amazing…THANKS for sharing..
EVERYONE SHOULD TRY THIS!!! https://bit.ly/2rffofG
I think you’re missing the part where you add the sauce preserves. 🙂 My sister loves pulled pork & BBQ sauce but is diabetic; it looks like with proper portion control, she could enjoy this because the sugar seems pretty low per serving. Thanks!