Since the new hockey rink opened in our town, I’ve been playing in a pretty competitive adult league….because it’s the only option besides the novice and the 40+ leagues. A lot of the players on my team and on teams we played against were REALLY, REALLY, REALLY good at hockey. And male. And many half my age.
But, DETAILS. The rink is a 5 minute drive from my house and so I feel like I can’t complain.
The owner of the rink invited me to try the 40+ league despite being a youngin’ at 32. I tried it out last Sunday and was going to decide between staying in the A/B adult league (games on Monday evenings as late as 9:40pm – UGH), switching to the 40+ league (games on Sunday at 8pm always), or doing both (probably overkill with tennis each week, too).
As it ends up, the 40+ was a perfect place for me to land. The guys are SUPER nice and the level of play is challenging but still something I can compete in and contribute to. When playing in the A/B league, it was rare I was doing anything productive with the puck. It wasn’t until I played Sunday that I realized I haven’t been enjoying hockey as much as I used to. I was outmatched and just going through the motions. Needless to say, my love of hockey is rekindled and I’m anxious to play this weekend!
The bad part? Sunday is always busy and it’s also the one day a week I am sure to have a homemade dinner on the table where we all sit down together. I hate that we’re down to just one sure bet family meal per week, but I value it all the more.
I usually save my more labor intensive/fancy/complicated meals for Sundays but with my hockey games switching to Sunday, I may need to keep things a bit more basic. Important to remember that basic does not meal boring. Like this meal. It offers BIG flavors, fresh ingredients, and a meal that’s ready in minutes. Marinating the chicken well in advance will make it all the more flavorful. Enjoy!
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 6 (5 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 avocados, diced
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar for drizzling (optional)
- Add the balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, olive oil, and Italian seasoning to a gallon-sized ziplock bag. Seal and mix well to combine. Add the chicken breasts and rotate to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees F. Grill chicken approximately 6 minutes per side. Remove to a platter and top each with a slice of mozzarella. Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the avocado, tomato, basil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss once more. Top chicken with avocado mixture and drizzle with additional balsamic vinegar, if desired.