I just had a minor freak out – our bathroom contractor hadn’t confirmed our start date for tomorrow and I might’ve been calling him more than is…acceptable the past few days. I knew he was traveling to the Upper Peninsula and had told me his cell service would be shoddy. But, I had recalled him saying he’d be returning earlier this week. Ends up, I’m just crazy.
…Crazy anxious for a new bathroom! Eeek, can’t wait! Though, Mark may never leave the tub with a TV in the bathroom…
So, I sent an apology text and I’m gearing myself up for a month or so without a master bath. Not a huge deal (I’m telling myself…) other than my 1-2 bathroom trips in the middle of the night, but I’ll manage. I know I just need to simplify other areas of life amid the chaos of a remodel (even when I’m not the one doing the majority of the work…). I know myself – I don’t deal well with disruption.
So, I do all that I can – I simplify. Starting with evenings and dinners that are quick and easy and aim to please…while still being healthy. I am forever a fan of the one pot or skillet meals that other busy people love and adore. Some are good, some are not so good…and some are great.
Let’s file this one into the “great” category. I was a little nervous that my kids would be pitching a fit over a meal that was more-or-less vegetables with a little chicken and a bit of cheese. However, topped with some perfectly ripe, diced avocado, I was a total winner with this meal.
A great way to use all that beautiful summer produce, you can swap in any number of vegetables – squash, green beans, greens, mushrooms, you name it. You can add or subtract any which way to suit your family’s likes and dislikes. Ready in minutes, you’ll all love this one!
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp cumin, divided
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 3 small zucchini, diced
- 1 (14 oz) can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 4 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup Colby jack cheese, shredded
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat and swirl to coat. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper; saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Move vegetables to the side of the skillet and add the chicken. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cumin, salt, and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until no longer pink, mixing occasionally.
- Add corn, zucchini, beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and remaining cumin. Stir well; cover and cook on low-medium for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover and cook for a few minutes or until cheese has melted. Top with green onion and cilantro. Serve hot.
Weekly Menu: June 24th – 28th
- Sunday: Kale and Sausage Pizza with salad
- Monday: Thai Peanut Chicken Crunch Slaw Salad
- Tuesday: Chicken and Cheese Tortilla Pie, slow cooker refried beans
- Wednesday: Shortcut Sausage Jambalaya
- Thursday: leftovers or carry-out