This weekend – ahhh, do not end! Especially this whole part where both of my kids are napping…!! This…this is what dreams are made of! The only thing better would be me joining in on the whole nap thing. Except, I’m one of those people that wakes up disoriented, cranky, and not the least bit refreshed. Instead, my body decides to get its second wind right around the time I’m heading to bed.
Naps will are reserved for need-only situations. I might have one of those situations sooner rather than later. If Oktoberfest doesn’t have me in need, maybe the jet lag will. I’ll remain optimistic, though. I can hang for 48 hours, I think.
Hopefully Friday night is no indication of my ability to “hang”. We went to a fancy dinner at the casino for Mark’s early birthday celebration, followed by a bit of blackjack, and the Illini game and a beer in bed. We both woke up feeling less than ideal and it was unfortunate because we weren’t deserving of those headaches! It’s a real treat, this whole getting older thing…
Saturday was spent in Chicago celebrating my soon-to-be…NIECE! My kids ran around with other kids in attendance of the gender reveal party and were learning the ropes of beer pong and used a motorcycle as their own private jungle gym. There’s was a little something for everyone at the party – it was fun! And even better, the rides to and from Chicago were completely and totally uneventful – exactly what you hope for when traveling with children!
This morning’s family pictures at the beach went swimmingly. No tears – not even from Mark! Painless for all and I’m feeling confident that the photographer got some shots that we’ll cherish for many years to come. The beach was all ours and the weather was perfect fall temps with lots of toasty sunshine.
After naptime, I’m going to fully embrace fall as we head out to pick apples. Honeycrisps are ripe and ready! I might have bribed Shea – nap and we go apple picking! We all win! These early fall temperatures are glorious but before all the tomato candy is gone, be sure to try this BLT meets quinoa dish. Quick and easy with lots of flavor. And with bacon. ‘Nuff said.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1¾ cups water
- ¼ tspr salt
- 8 slices nitrate-free bacon, chopped
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Place quinoa in a fine wire-mesh strainer; rinse under running water 1 minute. Drain. Bring quinoa, water, and salt to a boil in a saucepan over high. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook until liquid is mostly absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let steam, covered, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Place bacon on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Whisk together buttermilk, yogurt, chives, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Divide quinoa evenly among 4 bowls. Sprinkle bacon evenly over each serving; top each with ½ cup tomatoes and ¼ avocado. Drizzle with 2½ tablespoons buttermilk-chive dressing. Serve immediately.
Weekly Menu: September 23th – 27th
- Sunday: Baked salmon with roasted sweet potatoes
- Monday: Smothered Baked Chicken Burritos with Mexican Rice
- Tuesday: Biggest Loser “Fried” Chicken, buttermilk mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus — Mark’s birthday request meal!
- Wednesday: leftovers
- Thursday: traveling