I am promising to the blogosphere that I’ll be up and at’em for a morning workout tomorrow. I’ve become a professional sleeper lately and the morning workouts have been a struggle. My alarm was set to get up this morning for a workout, but Piper’s 1am request for a diaper change and a hug had me setting my alarm back an hour and foregoing my morning sweat sesh.
I’m all the more frustrated with myself because 1) my first meeting was at 9am today and 2) I knew I had a 5pm appointment that would not allow for a workout before dinner. I’ve learned that I’m highly unlikely to workout after dinner with the exception of organized sports. C’MON, SELF.
I’ve also started seeing an athletic trainer for my jerk of an Achilles. My sessions start with massage (YES!) and end with repeated exercises to strengthen and stretch the entire area between my mid-calf and my heel. Real technical, I know. It’s too bad massage alone can’t take care of the issue…I like that part J The rest of it is repetitive and somewhat exhausting…but I know it’s worth the time, effort, and cost to get healed.
The key for me is keeping active with enough rest between runs. I’m also going to ask Santa for arches in my feet because my trainer thinks all of this is due to my PANCAKE FLAT feet. Lovely.
My family is visiting on Saturday and so during name time, we’ll be sure to do chili and football. Especially since, you know, it’s supposed to snow. Shea has her heart set on building a snowman and I, for one, sure hope her wish doesn’t come true. It’s way too soon for that. Yet, it does make for perfect chili weather…
As this year’s chili contest marches on, I continue to be wow-ed by the variety and versatility of chili. Cajun White Chicken Chili with andouille sausage, shrimp, AND chicken? Heck-to-the-yes. Beans and vegetables, too. As recommended by Kathryn who submitted the recipe, we enjoyed this chili with cornbread. It was absolutely delish and very unique!
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (ribs and seeds removed to control heat, if desired)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Pour olive oil into a large pot over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned. Remove to plate with spotted spoon, reserving oil and drippings in pot.
- Add chicken to pot, cook until browned on all sides.
- Add in onion, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeno and saute 5 minutes until soft.
- Return sausage and any accumulated juices back to pot
- Stir in garlic, cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and flour. Cook 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and white beans and bring to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and heavy cream and cook 2-3 minutes, until shrimp are cooked through.