We’re packing up to get on the road and back to Michigan. We’ve been away since Christmas and everyone is totally off schedule and overloaded on sugar. Our goal for last night’s dinner: a vegetable. We succeeded with canned green beans to accompany…pizza.
I’ve seen numerous memes about the days between Christmas and New Years – What day is it? Am I working today? What time is it? Did I eat leftover cookies for breakfast, or was it cinnamon rolls? Each of these resonate with me. Oops.
However, it is now Sunday and tomorrow I am working. A little tease because I am, in fact, off New Years Day and then we will continue as regularly scheduled with a 2-day week for the kids. We’ll certainly be getting back into the groove by the time the weekend comes around. And by the time Mark gets over his man cold.
I’ve been sleeping well and sleeping in. Between no agenda and being fully transitioned to central time, tomorrow is going to be brutal. I woke up around 6am to go to the bathroom and my brain switched from vacation mode to “GO MODE!” in a millisecond. I desperately tried to go back to sleep but was conflicted with all that I was jotting down on my to-do list that cannot be trusted to memory: pack, blog, meal plan, grocery shop, pick-up the dog, workout, laundry, yada yada.
Motherhood is such a curse. P.S. In no relation to this post, I am having a good laugh over Confessions of a Domestic Failure. My goal was to finish in before returning to Michigan, but I am stuck driving so that Mark can nurse himself back to health in the passenger seat.
As we close out 2018 and I re-enter the world of our little family of 4, I figured it was most appropriate to post one of my family’s most favorite dinners. A crowd pleaser all around, this quick and easy meal is a keeper – chicken and pepperoni, what’s not to love!?
Looking for some other quick, easy, and healthy meals for the family? Be sure to check out our 8 favorite meals ready in 30 minutes or less from 2018! See you in 2019!
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved width-wise to make 2 thinner breasts*
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 16 slices turkey pepperoni, coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 24 oz lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- ¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken and sprinkle with pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes or until golden, flip and cook 2-3 minutes longer. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside. Cover to keep hot.
- To the skillet, add garlic and pepperoni; cook 2 minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add oregano; cook 30 seconds. Add marinara sauce; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil and nestle the cooked chicken into the marinara.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted, watching closely to avoid burning. Serve with pasta of choice, if desired.
Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light
Weekly Menu: December 30th – January 3rd
- Sunday: Dijon-Maple Chicken with Brussels and Butternut from Skinny Taste One & Done
- Monday: Petite Meatloaf Dinner from Skinny Taste One & Done
- Tuesday: baked party wings and Cranberry Brie Flatbread
- Wednesday: Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Magnolia Table
- Thursday: Chicken Fajita Pasta from Skinny Taste One & Done