Not gunna lie, I’m getting a little stir-crazy with winter officially in full effect. I got really desperate when I planned to drive the kids 15 miles north to go to a McDonalds with a playhouse. WHO AM I?! The germs, the food – other than something new and something active, what is there to gain?
Like I said, I was desperate. Instead, we took Shea grocery shopping because what sounds like more fun than Aldi AND Meijer in a snow storm…with a child?
As we were driving home in said snow storm around dinner time, the number of pizza delivery signs on cars was very noticeable. All these super smart people foregoing the grocery store in lieu of pizza delivery. If only we hadn’t had pizza the night before…
Instead, I made this recipe…AGAIN. I never make recipes twice (so says my husband). But it’s kind of true…though also true that we had this recipe for the first time just over a month ago. WHO AM I?!
I’ve been holding out on you. This take-out fake-out is finger lickin’ good. The epitome of health? No (but healthy-ish and definitely better than the alternative). Super simple? Indeed. Totally delicious? YES!
Brave the grocery store (or pull a Nicole and order groceries for delivery). If you can’t find something in your local grocer, there’s Amazon for the rest (like that sweet garlic chili sauce – however, most ethnic aisles do stock it!). You and your peeps will absolutely love this dish. Pair it with a bit of whole grain rice and some steamed broccoli to up the nutrition and make it a filling, colorful meal your whole family will love!
- 1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + ¼ cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 4 green onions, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- In large, sealed bag shake chicken pieces and ¼ cup cornstarch to coat chicken completely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken; flipping over to brown both sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to plate when browned.
- To the skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, and chili sauce. Add 2 tablespoons cornstarch to ¼ cup cold water; whisk well and add to the skillet. Whisk well and cook sauce until slightly thickened.
- Return the cooked chicken to skillet along with the green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve over rice, if desired.