I’m a slacker and have been having way too much fun – I’ve been away from my computer and so, apologies! This past weekend was spent with my podcast co-host, Gina, and her family. We interviewed our oldest littles in our most recent podcast episode – be sure to check it out! They’re incredibly cute and officially good friends!
Despite the weather, we had a good time. Probably not as good a time had we been able to do the beach and the pool, as planned. But, hey. I’m trying (and failing) to be patient with summer.
Yesterday LITERALLY felt like fall. Long sleeves and goosebumps. It’s now mid-to-late June and we’re yet to see a truly summer-like day. We’re going from impatient to downright hateful, if I do say so myself.
Admittedly, I’ve been in a bit of a funk all-around, especially when it comes to all things cooking. Having Gina’s husband Nick, whip up homemade strawberry shortcakes in my kitchen was like a dream come true. Who wouldn’t dream about such a thing? Is this what it’s like to be married to someone who loves to cook? If so, lucky husband I’ve got!
With all of these questionable weather days, the grill has been under-utilized and my motivation for seasonal fare is completely confused and thus, underwhelmed. I figured I’d be safe to choose a recipe that is literally a dump-and-go slow cooker recipe – little-to-no effort on my end. In fact, it would’ve been perfect in a cookbook such as my last, The Easy Heart Healthy Cookbook for Slow Cookers.
Packed with fiber, lean protein, and tons of flavor this recipe was perfect! As you may already know, I deem chili the most perfect food there ever was for its big flavor, endless variations, and overall balance of macronutrients. This summer-appropriate chili checked all the boxes and the best part: my kids devoured it!
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 oz frozen corn
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1¼ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Combine tomato sauce, pinto beans, black beans, corn, onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and pepper in a 6 quart slow cooker. Place chicken breasts on top and cover with the lid.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours. Before serving, remove chicken and shred using two forks. Return to chili and stir well. Serve topped with your favorite chili toppings.
Weekly Menu: June 16th – 20th
- Sunday: leftovers
- Monday: Sausage and Pepper Rice Skillet
- Tuesday: out for dinner at the pool
- Wednesday: leftovers / eat from the freezer
- Thursday: pasta with pesto, shrimp, and veggies – whatever is on hand. Cleaning out the fridge!