Last night I got home from work and was ready to hop on the Peloton. In the basement. However, Mark was on a video work call that would’ve required me walking into the field of view. I had to schlepp a giant fan with me so crawling by wasn’t an option (but I did consider it). So instead, I headed out for a run. Intervals. The death of me. I’m such a pokey runner!
About 10 minutes into my run I got a text from Mark alerting me that I could have access to the basement (and workout room) and so I headed back to do a quick Peloton ride.
Before hopping on the bike our nanny asked what was for dinner (she is cute – she finds a way to invite herself over when it’s something she really wants). When I responded “eggs, turkey sausage, toast, and fruit” she voiced her disapproval. “What happened to the shrimp tacos you’re planning to make?!” Shea has t-ball at 6:30, I replied!
Explaining that those were on deck for later in the week was unacceptable to her. So while I rode the bike, she did all of the prep for this recipe. Being that it was a 20 minute ride, this is most definitely a quick and easy recipe. The shrimp take a matter of minutes to cook and the assembly is 1-2-3.
We all gathered on the front porch with our shrimp tacos and everyone inhaled them. It was SILENT. I probably should have doubled the recipe to have leftovers but it was the perfect amount to feed 3 adults and 2 little girls…two little girls who happen to LOVE shrimp. And tacos.
We all agreed: this recipe is a must-repeat. I’ve made a lot of shrimp taco renditions but I must say, I think this one takes the cake. Both easy, delicious, quick, and healthy, there’s nothing not to love!
- 24 oz raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 9 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- ⅛ tsp salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- ½ jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
- ¼ cup 2% plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 1½ tsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha
- Combine shrimp and 1½ tablespoons olive oil in a medium bowl; gently toss to coat. Combine the spices, paprika through salt in a small dish, mix to combine. Sprinkle spices over shrimp and gently toss to coat. Set aside while you prepare the slaw and sauce.
- To make the slaw, whisk together the olive oil, honey, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the shredded cabbage, red onion, cilantro, and minced jalapeno; gently toss to coat completely.
- To prepare the sauce, whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat remaining ½ tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the shrimp and cook shrimp until pink and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes.
- Prepare the tacos by adding 2.5 ounces of cooked shrimp to each tortilla and top with ~1/3 cup slaw and 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce. Serve hot.