I’ve been off work for nearly 6 days and have so thoroughly enjoyed my little staycation. The weather has been dreamy and I feel like I’ve taken full advantage. Our laundry is a daily occurrence and consists of only swimsuits and beach towels. Isn’t that what summer should be like?!
Yesterday, we rented a boat with my parents and brother, my in-laws, and my friend. We swam and tubed and just played ALL day long. We came home a little too sun-kissed, a little over-served, and way tired. I was in bed, asleep, by 9:15pm and slept the next 10 ½ hours. Like. A. Rock.
And after we said goodbye to our guests, Sunday progressed as any normal Sunday would in our house: a lazy morning of snuggles and TV, followed by church, menu planning, grocery shopping…and then, blogging. Next up: packing the girls’ lunches for Monday.
I’d rather be on a boat! Adulting has never been harder. You get a taste of vacationing where you live and suddenly, anything other than that just seems like torture. It’s a good thing my inbox at work looks to require a lot of my time and attention upon my return – the week should go quickly, no doubt!
When planning my weekly menu, we were sure to plan on using the grill several times. Our forecast for the next week looks stunning and we haven’t grilled out enough yet this year. Second only to one pot delights, grilling is a favorite, especially for vegetables. And coming off my little staycation – I need my veggies!
In this little one pot delight, I ramped up the veggies and served it alongside some perfectly ripe avocado to increase the staying power and unsaturated fats in the meal. Big on fiber and flavor, this meal comes together quickly making it perfect for when you’re short on time or would just rather be in the sun having fun!
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1¼ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15 oz) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel
- 1 cup water
- 1¼ cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken and cook 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Add onion and green bell pepper, stir, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- Add taco seasoning; stir and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in black beans, undrained tomatoes and water; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in ½ cup cheese. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and cilantro. Serve hot.
Weekly Menu: July 7th – 11th
- Sunday: Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa and grilled potatoes
- Monday: Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Tuesday: Tacos with Spanish rice
- Wesnesday: Grilled Peach Salad with Basil, Burrata, and Prosciutto
- Thursday: Grilled chicken with veggie kebabs