When my bestie was in town last weekend, I wanted to spoil the mama-to-be with brunch. I had planned a little something sweet and a little something savory – I know her style because it’s my own 😊 I even bought a new, beautiful quiche pan for the occasion – a scalloped edge, white, 10-inch dish.
Amazon lost it. I can’t knock on Amazon too much because seriously, Amazon is LYFE. But I was disappointed and my asparagus was looking a little sad by the time the dish arrived. And sadly, Kristen had come and gone, never having the quiche I’d planned for brunch.
We ended up at a gourmet donut shop instead. Oops. I blame Amazon for that one. Srsly.
But as difficult as bypassing donuts can be, it’s a lot easier when you have something delicious planned for breakfast. Bonus if it can be reheated for a quick-and-easy option during the week. I microwaved my quiche slice at home this morning and brought it to work to eat while I got caught up with emails. My kind of Monday morning!
Plus, one my new year’s resolutions was to be more creative with fruits and vegetables (tune into episode 20 on Dietitians Dish to hear Gina and I give updates on our resolutions and set some new goals for the second half of 2019!) and I’ve always been one to say that if you can start your day with vegetables, you’re ahead of the game. I mean, how many people can say they regularly eat vegetables for breakfast? Not I!
And so this quiche is just perfect – plus, any morning I can start my day with a Swiss or Gruyere cheese – it’s bound to be a great day! It’s my absolute favorite and Aldi now sells it shredded. YASSS! Low carb-ers, gluten-free friends, and those who love asparagus…enjoy!
- 15 asparagus spears
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup shredded Swiss or gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mist a 10-inch pie dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Cut woody ends off of the asparagus spears. Take half the spears and cut off the top 4-5 inches to use on the top, if desired. Cut remaining asparagus into 1-2 inch pieces. If your asparagus is thick, halve the asparagus to create 2 thinner stalks before cutting into smaller pieces. Sprinkle the smaller pieces into the bottom of the dish and reserve the 4-5 inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and thyme. Pour the egg mixture over the asparagus in the dish and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Top with the 4-5 inch asparagus spears in a star-burst arrangement.
- Bake quiche for 60-75 minutes or until golden and eggs are set. Allow quiche to cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Weekly Menu: June 30th – July 4th
- Sunday: leftover tacos for the girls; leftover sweet potato and BBQ chicken for me
- Monday: Caramelized Pork Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- Tuesday: Out? It’s my birthday so we’ll see 🙂
- Wednesday: TBD – I’m off for the day so I’ll probably plan something before the fireworks
- Thursday: cookout – just not sure what yet!
This look really good and the photos are amazing! Will try it out! Thank you