August is half over and I just cannot believe it. For us, it’s a month of baptisms, retirement parties, baby showers, and weddings!
Okay, only one of each of those things but each of them requires travel and I haven’t left my zip code since spring. And yeah, that’s probably a bit of an exaggeration but trust me when I say not by much! My little corner of the world is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC this time of year and I hope September has lots of beauty and fun in store for us.
I have not blogged since I became a CHAMPION! My team WON the summer hockey league championship game! We were playing a team (that no one likes and who had double the number of wins as my team) that we were unlikely to win against and in over-time…we did just that. As for Sunday night hockey league, we had quite a few spectators and a slew of people who joined in our excitement.
Sunday nights this summer were not short on laughs and only left me short on sleep come Monday mornings. My plan is not to captain another team because wrangling a bunch of people to show up, be on time, and play nice is no easy feat. There’s also the whole uniform distribution, organization, communication, etc. – I struggle enough with that in my daily grind. But if I’m asked to captain a team, I’ll assume they’re desperate and will probably commit…
Setting boundaries is not my strength. I did do something last Sunday that I was super proud of, however. I had committed to lunch with friends and very unlike me, I backed out at the last minute. As in, I was IN THE PARKING lot and texted to say I was ditching out. I honestly just wanted to bask in the glory that was being ALONE. My kids and husband had gone ahead of me to grandma and grandpa’s and never having any time just to ME…I grabbed that time and held on for dear life.
I wish I had something really fun and exciting to report back as to what I did with said free time. But I was totally and completely lame. I went to the beach solo, read my book club book, and baked muffins. All in peace. It was so strange and yet SO fulfilling.
In true mom fashion, I was sure to double this recipe. Even though my kids weren’t around to demolish these muffins, I wanted to stock them away in the freezer for quick breakfasts and snacks in the months to come. You know, when life isn’t so quiet 😉
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 overripe bananas, peeled
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour, divided
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mist a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or line with muffin liners; set aside.
- In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the butter by microwaving on high for 30-45 seconds. Add the banana to the bowl and mash using the backside of a fork against the sides of the bowl. Add sugar, vanilla, eggs, and orange juice; whisk until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1¼ cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- To the now empty bowl, add remaining ¼ cup flour and blueberries, gently tossing to coat. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Using a ⅓ cup ice cream scoop, fill each muffin well two-thirds full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until muffin tops are golden brown. Allow to cool before removing from pan.