The weekend FLEW by. I hate that!
We took Friday afternoon off to take the girls to the county fair and we had a great time! I thought we would survive at least one more year without having to ride the rides, but no such luck. We did, however, escape without face painting. Small victories. The rides, though – they’re either totally boring OR totally scary…and all are WAY too expensive.
As we were letting the girls ride on their second and final ride, a young family approached us and offered us a TON of tickets for rides that they weren’t going to use. Needless to say, the girls were THRILLED. Shea then went on a “big kid” ride with Mark (think: loud, fast, and dizzy). Her face – OMG. I felt terrible. She got off and after being asked if she would want to go on that ride again she said, “No, maybe when I’m 7!” 🙂
Saturday was spent in Chicago throwing my bestie’s baby shower. It was perfection and she looked incredible! She had all her nearest and dearest in attendance. Afterwards, I got to see my brother and dad so we visited with them before I took off for home.
While Mark was home with the girls, I was told that they grocery shopped and did artwork “all day”. That was confirmed after our dog helped herself to sleeping on our outdoor table and ended up with glue glitter all over her butt. Ridiculous. They grocery shopped for the staples while today (Sunday) was our typical grocery list day. Mark went to the store while I baked away with the girls.
Mark was able to complete the grocery shopping because it didn’t include anything in this recipe: curry powder, red curry paste, ginger, coconut milk, fish sauce, etc. But MAN, if you can round up these ingredients, you will NOT be disappointed. Big on flavor, this Coconut Chicken Curry will quickly become a favorite!
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp finely minced ginger
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 3 Tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ tsp salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- Prep vegetables before starting.
- Heat coconut oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted hot, add the onion and saute for 3-5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and ginger; stir. Reduce heat to low and add in the curry powder, red curry paste, and coriander. Stir often for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Return the heat to medium-high. Add the red pepper; stir for 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken and season with the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often for about 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is browned on both sides, but not cooked through.
- Pour in the coconut milk, lime juice, brown sugar, and fish sauce. Stir; cook for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and pepper is tender. Garnish with mined cilantro and serve over rice and/or with naan, if desired.
Weekly Menu: August 18th – 22nd
- Sunday: Jimmy Johns @ a hockey party
- Monday: Cheesy BBQ Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats with oven-baked potato wedges
- Tuesday: 15 Minute Garlic Shrimp with Zucchini Pasta, baguette
- Wednesday: Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with corn on cob and the Best Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
- Thursday: out!