In the meantime, I’m soaking up all that’s left of summer…and that’s tolerable. When I opened the sliding door this morning to let the dog out to do her business, it was like SWAMP WATER in the air. GROSSSSS. The humidity is approximately 100% and it’s quite unpleasant outside.
On the flip side, I don’t really want to pack a light jacket for Seattle this weekend. But I’ll probably end up doing so with nighttime lows in the 50’s. This weather, I tell ya! We’ll come back after a long weekend for my sister-in-law’s wedding and Labor Day is right around the corner. It seems like a cruel joke.
Summer and especially August, went by too fast. WAY too fast. I’m still debating taking off next Thursday just to have a “me” day but I feel guilty doing so after so much time off this month. I’m truly conflicted! I guess there’s always the option of going to the beach to snuggle up with a book…and doing so in a hoodie doesn’t sound so bad.
Maybe just a day or two more to get my summer glow going? Here’s to hoping.
What’s in full summer effect is our garden, however. Unlike me, zucchinis LOVE the steamy conditions and they go from blooms to 8-inch long vegetables in a matter of 2 days. Literally. It’s almost magic with how quickly they grow. Needless to say, we’re having to get creative with zucchini in my kitchen.
A quick little internet search turned up several zucchini dessert options. An option with cream cheese frosting will always be the obvious choice and so here we are. I reduced the sugar slightly and added cinnamon to the frosting, but otherwise, the recipe was unchanged and absolutely perfect. Enjoy what’s left of summer because fall is on our heels!
- 1 cup canola oil
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded raw zucchini
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp non-fat milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mist a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and sugars using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth. Add the eggs, whisking after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat until well-combined.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the egg mixture and beat on low speed until no white streaks remain. Fold in the shredded zucchini and pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick is removed cleanly.
- Meanwhile, beat together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and milk. Add the powdered sugar, beating on medium-low speed until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Once cake has cooled completely, spread the frosting evenly over the surface of the cake. Refrigerate until serving.