It has been a busy week! I was busy with work, trying to get organized for family pictures, getting organized for the girls’ birthday party next weekend, prepping for an upcoming podcast, and even snuck in a trip to Chicago to go see my best friend’s baby – a boy, born 3 weeks early! Two surprises in there (she was one of THOSE that didn’t find out gender).
Since organizing anything isn’t my strong suit, it’s exhausting to get all sorts of things organized at once. I managed and I’ve made not one list. I’m not sure what that says for my probability for success, but we’ll see.
The upcoming week looks to be sunny and in the 80’s. I’m not complaining, HOWEVER, I really think the Midwest ought to consider re-evaluating the timeline of summer. The pools should NOT close Labor Day weekend! There are far more pool days in the weeks following Labor Day than there are in the weeks following Memorial Day. JUST SAYIN’. I really think this is a valid argument to make.
I’m also pressing pause on the chili contest because I have only a few more entries left and somehow it’s sinful enough to be indoors watching college football on a beautiful Saturday…adding chili to the mix just seems wrong-ish. Fall will be here in no time so for now, we’re enjoying the Indian summer. I mean, the girls were in the lake twice this weekend. They may have been the only ones…BUT they live to tell of it! And, the LOVED it!
With my trip to Chicago, I missed dinner prep on Thursday and so that recipe is getting carried over from last week’s menu. This Tangy Sweet-and-Sour Meatball recipe came from a good’ol Google search. Just “easy weeknight meals kids will love”. BAM.
I was sure to double it because I just knew it was going to be a winner. Such simple ingredients and so big on flavor! I’m officially on the lookout for more recipes where I can uniquely utilize fully cooked, frozen turkey meatballs. Next time, I’ll probably add onion and chop and add at the same point as the bell pepper, but otherwise, this recipe is perfection! Enjoy!
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks in 100% juice
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 30 frozen fully cooked turkey meatballs
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside. Add water to juice (if needed) to measure 1 cup; pour into a large skillet. Add remaining ⅓ cup water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch; whisk until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Add the meatballs and cook for 7-8 minutes. Add the green pepper and stir; cook an additional 12 minutes. Stir in the pineapple chunks and cook for 1-2 minutes or until pineapple is heated through.
- Serve with rice or egg noodles, if desired.
Weekly Menu: September 15th – 19th
- Sunday: Curried Shrimp Biryani with naan and steamed broccoli
- Monday: Zucchini, Corn, and Egg Casserole
- Tuesday: Burgers on the grill with potatoes in foil on the grill + salad
- Wednesday: Fall Vegetable Sloppy Joes with salad
- Thursday: out or leftovers or breakfast for dinner – TBD!