Oh hello, January. We were out to dinner last night, watching the snow fall at a steady pace and at a 45 degree angle with the wind. The US Army Corps of Engineers report says that waves on Lake Michigan may reach 18 feet (!) today. Bananas.
As excited as I am for my niece’s 1st birthday party today, I’m not looking forward to the 80 miles of highway to get there…should make for some interesting travel. Hopefully the worst of it is near us and the Chicagoland area wasn’t hit quite as hard.
All that to say, I’m glad winter feels as though it has arrived. Every kind of germ and illness is rampant in our area and I know we cannot dodge it all forever. I had a tickle in my throat a few weeks ago, and hit the Airborne and essential oils hard, able to ward off whatever was trying to get me.
I desperately want to workout before we leave for Chicago, but my body is suggesting otherwise. I have not rebounded well from 4 hockey games last weekend. I feel fine until I start exercising and then my legs turn to lead. I noticed it while playing tennis and while on the Peloton this week. I’ll take today off and hope that I can get my legs back this coming week. Old lady problems…
This weekend is a busy one and will certainly fly by which is why I figured out our weekly menu a day early AND placed my grocery order for delivery in lieu of dealing with the grocery store. A week off from grocery shopping does the sanity some good, amirite?
With the cooler temps and uptick in indoor time, I’ve taken to perusing cookbooks for recipes. I also recently organized my cookbooks and my kitchen is looking a bit more put together because of it. I found this recipe that looked incredibly easy (it was) and a favorite of ours (always). I still can’t cook rice to save my life, but with this flavorful and tender butter chicken on top, it masked my ineptitude just fine. 😉
- 1 (14 oz) can lite coconut milk
- ¾ cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp red curry paste
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch ginger root, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In the slow cooker, stir together the coconut milk, yogurt, tomato paste, curry paste, onion, garlic, ginger, and spices (garam masala through salt). Mix until smooth. Add the chicken and mix to coat completely.
- Add the butter on top of the chicken. Cover and cook 4 hours on HIGH or 6-8 hours on LOW. Stir in the lemon juice and pepper, to taste.
- Serve over rice and with naan, if desired.
Weekly Menu: January 19th – 23rd
- Sunday: leftovers / Chicken Caesar Salad with a Twist
- Monday: Walnut Tofu Bolognese with roasted cauliflower
- Tuesday: lasagna from the freezer with salad
- Wednesday: out for book club / leftovers for the family
- Thursday: work dinner – kids meal TBD