We’re entering week 2 of full-out COVID-19 social distancing. It hasn’t seemed quite as long for me because I was at work on Monday and Tuesday and was reassigned to screening patients on Thursday. I did leave the house today (Sunday) – a car ride to the park and then to pick-up a pizza from a local brewery. Honestly, though, I’d have been just fine to stay at home. I’m simply happy to be away from sick people.
Since social distancing has been in full-effect, I’ve done quite a bit. Some productive, some not.
I finished a puzzle – only 750 pieces, but an accomplishment. I watched a “must see” movie (consider those air quotes)…Coming to America was good, but I’m not feeling as though my life is more fulfilled having seen it.
We’ve done some closet cleaning, had the girls try on some new clothes, did a TON of laundry, worked out a TON (thank goodness for Peloton!), made a new dessert, meal planned, placed a grocery delivery order, and now, I’m blogging. So I guess I mostly counted my lucky stars for not getting called into work this weekend. All good with me! Now it only the weather would warm up some…
While the world fully transitions to using up the food they have on hand, I am very grateful for my well-stocked kitchen. Things like low-sodium soy sauce, fish sauce, honey, and toasted sesame oil are staples in my house. As are cashews, because #PiperReese.
If you can find ground chicken breast, make this recipe. It’s called “Better than Take Out” in the OG post for a reason. SO much flavor – that BASIL! That sauce! Just don’t be that person that buys up ALL of the chicken. We’ve all got needs, people! And we all need this recipe in our mouths!
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 red or orange bell peppers, chopped
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Tbsp chili paste (sambal oelek)
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly torn
- 5 cups steamed white rice, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the chicken. Season with black pepper. Cook chicken for about 5 minutes or until cooked through, breaking up into crumbles as it cooks. Add the garlic, ginger, peppers, and cashews; cook an additional 2-3 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in the soy sauce, fish sauce, chili paste, and honey. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the sauce thickens, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. Serve the chicken and sauce over rice.
Weekly Menu: March 22nd – 26th
- Sunday: Beyond meat tacos / taco salads
- Monday: Sloppy Joes with oven fries and asparagus
- Tuesday: leftover lasagna and Caesar salad
- Wednesday: Kung Pao Cauliflower with steamed broccoli and edamame
- Thursday: Roasted Garlic Risotto with shrimp and salad