Today’s going to be random, hang on.
Yesterday, I got a sneak peak of my blog make-over. YOU GUYS…I LOVE! Also, I decided against re-branding. While I am “Busy as a Mother”, Prevention RD is my long-standing brand and I still love everything about it. So, Prevention RD – here to stay. Can’t wait for the site to be complete and you to enjoy!
My in-laws are coming to see the girls this weekend. They cannot wait. My kids haven’t seen any of their grandparents in 3+ months. Everyone is looking forward to breaking up the monotony that has been quarantine. We’ll take some COVID-19 precautions but are thankful to have interaction with someone other than each other!
If the weather holds out…we may have our first beach day of the year tomorrow. It’s this time of year, now through Labor Day, that our town typically turns into tourist central with all of the beach goers. We’ll see how different this year is, but the upside will likely be less crowds and therefore less frustration for locals. Gotta look for upsides to all things happening in 2020, right?
We are fully up and running with telehealth in my clinic – video visits, phone visits, and yes, in-person visits. It has optimized our time an we’re as busy, if not busier, than before COVID hit. And if you know anything about what’s going on in healthcare around much of the country, that’s a very good thing. We want our people healthy and not putting off care for chronic disease!
My new obsession is spinach salads with berries and goat cheese. I’ll need to pump the breaks, otherwise I’ll tire of them before berry season arrives. Strawberries should start in less than a month!
I was cranking out book after book with lots of indoor time, but that has been replaced with outdoor time. I’ve been enjoying some outdoor runs and have religiously been walking 1-2 miles over the lunch hour. I forgot how luxurious it feels to get out of my office, remove a mask, and enjoy some gorgeous weather and healthy stepping during my work day. I wish I could get into audio books, but for now I’ll stick with podcasts. Speaking of which, our listeners love our husbands more than us. We’re trying not to be too offended 😉
Before running off for a long, holiday weekend, I’ll leave you this little breakfast option. It comes from the cookbook I’ve used most here recently – Thug Kitchen, which just so happens to be a vegan cookbook. What drew me to this recipe, other than a recommendation from a friend, was the use of uncooked millet (because #shortcuts). I bought some as an impulse buy nearly a year ago and I hadn’t opened it yet. This recipe seemed like the perfect excuse to do so. Don’t have millet? Swap in more quinoa. No biggie! The uncooked grains/seeds give a really fun, crunchy texture. Dip these bars into some milk and they nearly morph into a dessert! Enjoy!
- 2 cups oats
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
- ¼ cup uncooked millet
- 1¼ cup chopped nuts or seeds*
- ½ cup dried cranberries or cherries
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish and line with parchment with excess to hang over the sides of the dish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the oats, quinoa, and millet. Stir until they start to smell toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Combine the nuts/seeds and cranberries/cherries in a large bowl. Add the toasted oats, quinoa, and millet and mix well.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the syrup, peanut butter, coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla and heat over medium heat. Whisk until smooth and heated through. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Use the backside of a spatula coating in nonstick cooking spray to firmly press the mixture to the sides and corners of the dish in an even layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature and transfer to the fridge. Allow to chill completely for 2-3 hours before cutting into bars.
Recipe from Thug Kitchen
If these tickle your fancy, maybe one of these recipes will, too!
- Peanut Butter Trail Mix Bars
- Oatmeal-Almond Breakfast Cookies
- Maple Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- Cherry-Almond Granola Bars
- Granola Bars with Banana, Cranberries & Pecans