This weekend was more like fall weather-wise. Honestly, that’s some of my favorite weather…but I feel as though Memorial Day through Labor Day is a constant chase all thing summer-y. I can’t imagine living in a place that doesn’t have snow and cold for at least half the year. Parts of me love the seasons and other parts of me long for California weather!
Living in this COVID-19 world, we have a reservation to go swimming at noon today. We have to arrive within 15 minutes of our time slot, wear masks in/out of the facility, and have to leave by 2:45pm. It’s opening day and we’re in the first time slot – it should be interesting.
This is all fine, and I get it. However, the high today is in the 60’s. Just lovely. But with this weird weather and chase for summer, coupled with the need to plan ahead with COVID restrictions, we will be at the pool. The girls will for sure be in the water and I will for sure be sitting pool side, snuggled up with a book (I hope).
Friday afternoon, however, was a pleasant 72 degrees as we picked strawberries – the fruit that always ripens first here in Michigan. Strawberry u-pick always kicks off the summer picking season and the berries were big and sweet and plentiful! It’s nice to pick on a sunny afternoon without profusely sweating.
Piper picked all of 1 berry but ate tons while wandering the fields. Shea was probably the best picker of us all. She’d return to the bucket, depositing berries while announcing loudly, “Three/four/five ripe, juicy berries coming right up!” She also does this new thing for pictures – one hand on her hip and the other hand making a peace sign. Where do kids get this stuff from!?
Before and after swimming, today will be spent making some strawberry recipes with the 23 pounds we picked – many of which are already hulled and frozen for smoothies throughout the year. I’ve got other plans for chia jam, a cake, ice cream, and parfaits. Lots to happen today in the kitchen! Meanwhile, we’ll be munching on some of this Greek Yogurt Chocolate-Strawberry Bark. It’s guilt-free and SO good…oh, and beyond easy to make! Enjoy!
- 3 cups whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup (3 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup (1.5 oz) dark chocolate shavings and/or chunks
- 2 cups finely diced strawberries
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the yogurt, vanilla, honey, and chocolate chips.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, allowing excess to hang over the sizes. Pour yogurt onto the prepared baking sheet. Use a spatula to spread in an even layer.
3. Top with chocolate shavings/chunks and strawberries, gently pressing into the yogurt. Freeze for 3+ hours or until frozen through. Use a large, sharp knife to cut into 24 squares before serving.
This yogurt bark melts quickly! Store in a plastic bag in the freezer after cutting. Enjoy quickly 😉
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1/24th recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 3.1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 18mgCarbohydrates: 9.1gFiber: 0.5gSugar: 7.5gProtein: 3.3g
Weekly Menu: June 14th – 19th
- Sunday: burgers with Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette and Gorgonzola
- Monday: Thai Green Curry Tofu
- Tuesday: Ranch Chicken (from new cookbook Quicker than Quick) with oven fries
- Wednesday: Old Bay Shrimp Burritos with salad
- Thursday: One-Pan Mexican Chicken & Rice
- Friday: dinner out
Want more chocolate in your life? Who doesn’t?! Perhaps you’ll enjoy one of these…
- No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- Pomegranate and Dark Chocolate Bites
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- “Healthy” Almond Joy Truffles
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Granola Cups