Holy smokes, it’s hot out there! Michigan is not so accustomed to temps in the 90’s and I hear that July is supposed to be one of the hottest Julys on record. We’ll see, but it sure looks like a good possibility if the first week of July’s forecast follows typical patterns.
When I hopped into my car after work, it sounded like it was taking off for the moon. The A/C kicking in was LOUD and struggling after sitting in the sun all day. But, it cooled off and we made it home. After our power clicked off at 6am this morning, it was quick to come right back on. As much as losing heat is unfortunate in winter, our generator can handle a few space heaters quite well. If we lose power in the summer, we’d be sweltering!!
Most days, the girls have been going to the pool with our babysitter after daycare. They’re little fish and come 3pm, when I know they’re at the pool…it gets really hard to not bolt for the pool myself! But, ahem, after tomorrow, I have a 5 day holiday/birthday weekend so I.Am.Not.Complaining!
My brother texted a picture of a box of fireworks today but that’s literally the only mention I’ve heard of 4th of July plans. We have nothing on the agenda and that sounds fabulous to me! I’ll spend the time going between the pool and the beach with a few workouts and adult beverages sprinkled throughout – the perfect staycation, if you’re asking me!
After this little staycation, our July gets a bit busier on the weekends – travel and visitors. In fact, one of our visitors is my friend who we received our ice cream maker from back in 2009 when we got married. Except, she never actually got us the ice cream maker – it just…arrived and I knew no differently at the time and promptly began using it! It’s a story we enjoy reminiscing over to this day 🙂
PERHAPS (no promises, Kelly!) there will be some of this Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream left for her visit in a few weeks. It takes some time to prepare, but I love the simple ingredient list, limited use of sugar, and creamy coconut texture with the strawberry flavor and color. It’s a refreshing little summer treat on these scorchers!
Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
Creamy, yet vegan! This subtly sweet strawberry ice cream is refreshing and smooth. The perfect summer cool off treat!
- 2 cups strawberries, stems removed and halved
- 2 (14 oz) cans coconut milk, well shook and divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Freeze the bowl of an ice cream maker until frozen through.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar over the halved strawberries; set aside for 20 minutes.
- Measure out and set aside 1/2 cup coconut milk.
- Add remaining coconut milk, sugar, and salt to a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add the vanilla extract.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the reserved 1/2 cup coconut milk until well combined; add mixture to the sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil for 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- Blend the strawberries in a food processor or process with an immersion blender until no large pieces remain. Stir the strawberries into the coconut milk mixture until well combined. Transfer to a shallow container, cover, and refrigerate until chilled (at least 2 hours).
- Add the ice cream to the frozen ice cream bowl and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. Church until it becomes thick and resembles soft serve.
- Transfer to freezer-safe container until ready to serve. Allow ice cream 10-15 minutes to thaw before serving.
Recipe from My Darling Vegan
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 11.8gSaturated Fat: 11.7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 15.7gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 13.3gProtein: 1.3g
Need more recipes to cool off with? Me too!
- Salted Caramel Brownie Ice Cream Cake
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Sorbet
- Lime Creamsicles
- Greek Yogurt Ice Cream
- Creamy Pineapple Sorbet
Off to freeze my ice cream maker bowl. Going to try this with cherries.