Well, we survived the weekend of camping. Kind of. Okay, not really.
We arrived to the campsite early Friday evening, after working and then handing off the girls to Mark’s parents. The car was PACKED and ahem, we weren’t even using a tent. We were staying in a “rustic cabin” – here’s a picture. Darling, isn’t it?
Mark and I were craving an easy evening, so as people trickled into the campsite and headed out to the grocery store, we opted to take a detour to the Newaygo Brewing Company for local beer sampling and dinner. I mean, it beat a hot dog over a campfire (in my book) any day.
After a few beers and s’mores around the campfire, I turned in early. I walked to the campsite bathrooms to brush my teeth and use the facilities one last time before hitting the hay. I slept from 11-1am at which point I needed to use the restroom again. Man, that’s a long walk at 1am. I was then wide away until 4am, at which point I decided to use the facilities again. I then slept well-ish from 4-8am, at which point my alarm went off.
In surveying the campsite, most people slept like total crap and most people agreed that sleep while camping is unlikely. Okay, then…I did it right I guess. SMH. I drank my coffee and packed for the 13 mile kayak trip! It was a long 7 hours of kayaking in direct sun the entire time, but it was so fun. We saw tons of turtles and 5 bald eagles!
After returning to the campsite and catching a shower, I had socialized the idea of leaving a night early to Mark. Having not slept well himself the night before, he was open to the idea, for sure. So while others showered and got organized for dinner, we packed up. Before departing, we enjoyed a campsite dinner. Mostly steaks, a few burgers, and a few veggie burgers.
Cue conversation about the awesome-ness of tofu. I promised to send out a few of my favorite easy tofu recipes. Topping the list? This gem! Together quickly and absolutely delicious! Enjoy!
30-Minute Thai Green Curry Tofu
Quick and easy...yet big on flavor! Versatile tofu takes on the flavor of green curry paste along with Thai food's super star ingredient: coconut milk.
- 1 (14 oz) block extra-firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half-moons
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch slices
- 3 Tbsp green curry paste
- 1 (15 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Drain water from tofu packaging. Slice block of tofu width-wise to create 2 thinner "slabs" of tofu. Using layered paper towel or a clean dish rag, gently press excess moisture from tofu. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, deep, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the tofu season with black pepper, to taste. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden. Remove the tofu to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet. Once hot, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir, cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add zucchini and bell pepper; cook for 3-4 minutes or until veggies begin to char slightly.
- Add the curry paste, coconut milk, coconut sugar, and soy sauce; stir well and heat for 4-5 minutes. Add the tofu back to the skillet and heat through, about 1 minute.
- Top with a squeeze of lime juice and serve with rice, if desired.
Recipe slightly adapted from Choosing Chia
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 recipe (about 2 cups)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 20.7gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 809mgCarbohydrates: 20.8gFiber: 5.3gSugar: 9.0gProtein: 12.3g
Weekly Menu: July 26th – 30th
- Sunday: Slow Cooker Shrimp Boil
- Monday: Sweet Potato Fajitas with guacamole
- Tuesday: pot stickers with beef and broccoli
- Wednesday: salmon with Creamy Cucumber Salad and roasted potatoes
- Thursday: dinner out with family friends
Love tofu? Dig these quick and easy recipes!
- Spicy Thai Noodles with Tofu
- Tofu “Stir Fry” with Peanut Sauce
- Thai Tofu-Veggie Bowls
- Honey Garlic Tofu
- Kung Pao Tofu