Let me tell you, July has been the month of work hard, play hard. I’ve always loved living by that motto. My mom says that I live this way all the time and you know what, I think it’s a great thing! My random PTO days have been spent in total relaxation (or productivity), doing all the things I love most (without my darling family, that is) – beach, reading, and exercising…pretty much in that order.
Again yesterday, I was off in the afternoon. I moved from eating lunch while blogging to the hammock to the pavement for a run. I followed it up with yoga in my front lawn. I mean, who am I!? Yoga?! I didn’t hate it. That much.
As I climbed into bed last night, I emailed myself a handful of reminders before knocking off and walked into work this morning with a very full email inbox, with thanks not only to myself. After a day of meetings, patients, and catch-up, quitting time came quick.
Those are my kind of days, let me just say. #workhardplayhard
What I did forget…to take chicken breasts out of the freezer. By the time I remembered at 4pm and texted my work-from-home hubby (for the time being but hopefully forever), I knew it was a little too late. Good thing there’s always brinner (breakfast for dinner) to fall back on.
Lately, there’s often a dessert on hand at home. I’ve swapped my COVID-19 baked donut tradition on the weekends for a weekend prep of some kind of dessert. This week is Cherry Crisp, but a few weeks ago was this banana cake.
If you’re thinking, didn’t she just make a banana cake not too long ago? You’re correct. We enjoyed it THAT much. My kids also have THAT MUCH of a swing in their weekly banana intake – one week they’re monkeys, the next week they “hate” bananas. That is, until they’re made into a cake. This recipe is like banana bread meets cream cheese frosting – simple as that! What’s not to love?
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (~3 1/2 bananas)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Mist a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas with the backside of a fork or with a potato masher until smooth-ish. Add the lemon juice and mix well; set aside.
- In a second medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using an electric hand mixer on medium-high speed. Beat the eggs in one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl, as needed. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- To the butter-sugar mixture, beat in the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating the two between each addition. Mix in the mashed bananas until well-combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center is cleanly removed. Allow the cake to cook completely.
- Prepare the frosting by creaming together the butter and cream cheese using an electric hand mixer until well-combined. Beat in the vanilla and powdered sugar on low until combined, then high until smooth.
- Frost the cake after it has cooled completed. Serve or store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Recipe from Happy Hooligans
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 18.9gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 407mgCarbohydrates: 72.7gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 51.5gProtein: 5.9g
Enjoy all things banana-y? Be sure to check out these recipes, too! 😉
- Banana Cake with Banana Cream Cheese Frosting
- Banana Breakfast Cookies
- Healthy Banana Muffins
- Vegan Whole Wheat Banana Nut Pancakes