I meant to get around to blogging yesterday, but it was my BIRTHDAY and I the day got away from me somehow! The day started with not getting ready – I put Mark in charge of daycare drop off so I could lounge around with my coffee and have my everyday morning chat with my mom.
I hopped on a live Peloton ride at 9am – a 60-minute 90s music ride. I sweat my butt off, showered, took a few birthday Facetime calls, and made my way to the salon for hair, pedi, and lots of gab. I play hockey with my stylist so we haven’t seen each other and had lots to catch up on!
I returned home to change for the pool, grab Mark, and we made our way to pick-up the girls from daycare and headed straight to the pool. Adult beverages, zero reading, and lots of fun. The girls announced to everyone that it was my birthday and so I got lots of “happy birthdays!” and a very un-necessary, yet very fun tequila shot (guilty pleasure).
We stayed for dinner and our friends joined with their 2 girls, similar in age to mine. We returned home for cake (red velvet!), TV, and cuddles. Mark and I enjoyed a bit of Lenox Hill on Netflix before crawling into bed by 9:30pm. I mean, would I have it any other way?! Never. The day was perfect and a great kick off to a 5 day weekend (!).
Today, my in-laws are coming to help assemble a swing set. The girls have NO CLUE that this is going down and so I’m going to take them out with my family while the assembly begins and when we return…I can’t WAIT to see their faces! We’re going to have a big cookout with both families and celebrate the holiday weekend appropriately!
To add to our chicken kebabs and brats, I’ll be serving up some of these Black Bean and Quinoa Veggie Burgers. They’re packed with both flavor and nutrition…and, they’re an all-time favorite on my site. In fact, this recipe is the #1 most sought after recipe on PreventionRD.com so you KNOW they’re good. Enjoy and Happy 4th!!
Black Bean and Quinoa Veggie Burger
These vegetarian burgers are an all-time favorite on my site...so I'm re-posting with a few tweaks to make them come together faster! Double the batch and freeze between parchment for a quick vegetarian option for months to come! Just don't forget the honey-dijon yogurt - totally makes the recipe!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- ½ cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Heat the oil in a small pan over medium heat; add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté until onions are softened, 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30-60 seconds, or until fragrant. Transfer the mixture into a large bowl.
- Add black beans to the bowl and using a potato masher or fork, mash together until a pasty mixture forms.
- Stir in the tomato paste, egg, corn, cilantro, chipotles, cumin, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, cooked quinoa, oats, and oat flour until well mixed. Form the mixture into 6 equal balls. Gently press down evenly to form patties, compacting them well with your hands as you form them.
- OVEN: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mist a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Flip and cook an additional 10 minute. GRIDDLE/GRILL: If using a griddle (my preference), mist with non-stick cooking spray and cook 4-6 minutes per side or until golden.
- While burgers cook, make the yogurt sauce by mixing together all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve burgers with 1 1/2 tablespoon sauce, on a bun with any toppings of preference, if desired.
Recipe adapted from The Foodie Physician
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 5.3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3.3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 418mgCarbohydrates: 38.7gFiber: 7.2gProtein: 11.3g
Need more great vegetarian meals in your life? Be sure to check out some of my favorites!
Sounds like a great birthday! Hope you are enjoying Lenox Hill.