There was this funny thing that I found on Facebook yesterday. It was something like “Anyone who knows me knows I love _____”. Most people who responded when I reposted it said “beer”. And they are not wrong! 😊
I asked this same question of my husband, knowing what he would say. Which, of course, was “pizza!”. If you know Mark, you know he LOVES pizza. If he has one complaint about a wife who cooks as much as I do, it’s that he doesn’t “get” to eat pizza as much as he’d like. Which, for the record, is at least once a week…
A week or so ago, I was having major meal planning issues. Nothing sounded good and so I tasked Mark with choosing some menu items for the week. I was a little surprised he chose this recipe, and yet not at all because he will eat pizza any way he can get it.
He joked that I wouldn’t like the recipe because of the vegetables and admittedly, veggies on pizza is not my favorite. Or, more accurately, I think that veggies are often done wrong when on pizza. There’s one place here locally that has RAW green bell pepper on their pizza and Mark loves it – I despise it. I love veggies but for whatever reason, I prefer them as a side when it comes to pizza. We all have our preferences, right!?
So while the dietitian gets teased about not caring for vegetables on her pizza (exception: fresh arugula – love it!), it’s a great thing in theory. And in reality, when done RIGHT….they’re delicious!
Exhibit A: THIS PIZZA. The brussels sprouts are roasted to start and finished on the pizza, using the cheese to adhere the brussels sprouts and walnuts TO the pizza. Can’t have all the goodies falling off!
And that honey drizzle? Yeah, don’t skip that part. It’s what ties all of the flavors together. Brussels spouts and honey are a match made in heaven and this simple pizza pulls together some of my favorite fall flavors and fun texture (nuts!) into this dreamy pizza meal. It’s unique and it’s fab! Good pick, hubby!
Brussels Sprout and Walnut Pizza
Yep, you read that right. Brussels sprouts and walnuts with a drizzle of honey. This unique pizza is BOMB!
- 1 lb prepared pizza dough
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, torn into small pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place shallot and quartered brussels sprouts on the baking sheet and drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and toss well to coat. Roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll dough into a 14-16 inch round using a rolling pin. Transfer to a pizza pan.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F (or per pizza dough packaging); bake for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven and drizzle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Use a brush to coat the pizza evenly. Top with the brussels sprouts/shallots, walnuts, and fresh mozzarella, followed by salt and pepper to season. Return to oven and bake for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is cooked to texture of preference.
- Drizzle with honey before slicing and serving.
Recipe adapted from Men's Journal
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514Total Fat: 24.3gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 837mgCarbohydrates: 61.3gFiber: 3.0gSugar: 12.8gProtein: 15.8g
Pizza freak? Who isn’t!? Enjoy these recipes!
- Greek Yogurt Pizza Dough
- Green Goddess Pesto-Squash Pizza
- Apple, Brie, and Sausage Pizza on Pumpkin Crust
- 15-Minute BBQ Chicken Pizza
Sounds yummy! I love Brussels sprouts on pizza! Here’s another delicious recipe to try: https://www.marthastewart.com/875371/brussels-sprouts-lemon-pizza
It’s SO good!
Yum, that sounds amazing!! Thanks so much, Julie!