Tuesday night. Election day. Sitting in my jammies, snuggled on the couch, watching the election results.
I was up and at’em this morning, at the polls by 6:20am. I was #3 to arrive – the polls opened at 7am. There was quite the line when by the time the doors opened at 7. When I drove past my polling location just before 1pm, there was no line at all. I didn’t know what to expect! I was glad to get in, get out, and get home to be sure the girls’ hair got done before they were sent off to daycare and school.
I went to work and tied up a bunch of loose ends. With no meetings or patients and 66 degree sunny weather, I treated myself to a half day of PTO. As it ends up, our afterschool nanny wasn’t feeling good, so I quickly grabbed a sandwich before heading for a pedicure. By that point, it was nearly time to pick-up Piper at 3pm.
We quickly ran to the grocery store and then I asked her to take a walk with me in the stroller. She was happy to oblige and we got out to enjoy some sunshine – it was glorious! In no time, it was time to pick-up Shea from the bus and it was straight into the evening grind of workout, shower, and dinner. I’m glad the next 5 days look like similar weather…living COVID-19 life is a bit easier when you can get outside, that’s for sure.
I’ve been pretty underwhelmed with dinner lately. I’ve had some flops – leftovers that I know, sadly, are just going to sit there. Or finally be consumed by Mark. Or the dog.
A recent meal that hit it out of the park? This Peanut Sauce Rice Noodle with Tofu and Veggie recipe. Lots of veggies, tons of flavor. Keep those veggies a bit al dente so you can add some texture and woo, I promise you won’t be disappointed! If you’re looking for other vegetarian and vegan meal and recipe ideas, be sure to check out my latest podcast episode (and don’t forget – if you love what you’re hearing, drop a review on iTunes!). Enjoy!
Peanut Sauce Rice Noodles with Tofu and Veggies
This peanut sauce is quick and easy, pairing beautifully with gluten-free rice noodles, protein-rich tofu, and colorful veggies!
- 14 oz block extra firm tofu, drained
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper, to taste
- 10 oz dry brown rice noodles
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 cups snap peas, halved
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick-cut carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, to garnish
- 1/2 cup creamy, natural peanut butter
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sriracha
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp honey*
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- After draining, slice the tofu width-wise to create 2 thinner slabs. Using layered paper towels or clean dish towels, gently press the water out of the tofu.
- Cut into 3/4-inch cubes and arrange on the baking sheet. Mist with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add the noodles. After 3-4 minutes, add the broccoli. After an additional 2 minutes, add the snap peas and a minute later, the carrots.
- Meanwhile, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Drain the noodles and veggies; return to the pot and add the sauce and baked tofu. Toss well to coat. Serve topped with green onions.
Recipe adapted from The Twin Cooking Project
*use maple syrup to make vegan
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 565Total Fat: 21gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 602mgCarbohydrates: 77.0gFiber: 8.8gSugar: 16.0gProtein: 22.0g
Crazy for peanut butter? Check out some other nut butter recipes!
- Vegan Peanut Butter Pie
- Peanut Sesame Noodles with Chicken and Veggies
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Granola Cups
- Tofu “Stir Fry” with Peanut Sauce