As expected, the week is shaping up to be a brutal one. Monday was a day of just…surviving. I was walking in the door, hoping for a workout, just as Mark was wrapping up work for the day. I prompted him to prep (chop) for dinner and he looked at me like, “Why would I do that?!”
But, he did. First time for everything! Even still, dinner wasn’t on the table until 7:15pm and we had about 10 minutes between dinner and the girls going to bed. Disaster. I course-corrected, knowing I needed to hop directly back in the weekday groove so I was up early getting dinner into the crock pot.
Except, that was kind of brutal because Piper was up in the middle of the night with signs and symptoms of a UTI. Poor baby! She screamed and I BOLTED from bed. There’s something about your kids crying in the middle of the night that will rouse you from the most restful sleep and BAM, you’re in full-on parenting mode in 0.1 seconds.
Needless to say, I was exhausted this morning. I’m not used to middle of the night kiddo wake-ups any longer and honestly, I can’t believe I ever did that 2…3…6…times a night. And functioned the next day.
This morning was a brief stint at work before taking Piper to the pediatrician, filling her script and entertaining her while we waited, and then returning her to school…followed by a chaotic afternoon. I left work having all but talked myself out of my workout but arrived home to find…no one. So, I did a quick little workout followed by a much more timely evening.
Like my boss said today, it can take a week to get back in the groove at work. By that time, it’ll nearly be Christmas!
But the whole dinner shindig? I’ve got it down. Quick, easy, comforting – this recipe has it all. For those busy weeks, for those cold nights, for the days you just need to keep it basic. Enjoy!
Cheese Tortellini with Butter, Mushrooms, and Crispy Sage
Classy comfort food with zero effort!
- 1 (20 oz) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Tbsp butter divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain and keep hot.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the sage and cook for 1-2 minutes or until crisp. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- To the skillet, add the mushrooms and garlic; sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mushrooms are nicely browned.
- Add the drained tortellini, parmesan cheese, and sage to the pan. Toss well to coat and season with the salt and pepper before serving.
Recipe from Salt & Lavender
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 471Total Fat: 23.2gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 732mgCarbohydrates: 51.6gFiber: 3.0gSugar: 1.0gProtein: 19.0g
Looking for more pasta-y comfort foods?
- Skillet BBQ Chicken Pasta
- Sweet Pepper Pasta with Sausage
- Creamy Lemon One-Pot Pasta
- One Pot Kielbasa Pasta
- Pasta with Sausage, Basil, and Mustard