We celebrated Father’s Day with my family yesterday – my mom, dad, brother, future sister-in-law, and niece were all in town. We decided on a pool day and it was a beautiful day! We figured the pool would be bonkers, so we were sure to arrive early to snag some lounge chairs so we could post up alllllll day.
As it ends up, the pool never got busy and we were having so much fun we stayed through lunch and nearly to dinner time. No one seemed quite ready to go, somehow, someway. But despite best efforts to ward off excess sun, my girls had RED cheeks and so, it was time to go. Shea, my 6-year-old, was melting down, having reached the stage of being over-tired (parents, that doesn’t go away after infancy/toddlerhood, it ends up!).
After a bath, my mom snuggled up on the couch and read to her and by 5pm, she was completely out… until dinner was served and suddenly there was a cranky, exhausted big kid wrapped in a blanket at the dinner table. She couldn’t stand to miss a moment of fun with her cousin…or miss cake 😉
Just as it was the case when she was a baby, the over-tired Shea melted down when everyone left. Inconsolable, really. And at bedtime-bedtime, she was so beyond the point of exhaustion that she had trouble falling asleep. This morning, she slept until just after 9am which is, best I can recall, the latest she has ever slept. She’s a whole new person this morning and good thing, it’s Father’s Day!
I offered to make Mark breakfast with the girls, but he wasn’t interested. I even offered to run out for donuts or to make donuts – he passed. He’s in the kitchen unloading the dishwasher and making Piper’s lunch for tomorrow. What a dad! We’re some lucky girls!
While he didn’t take us up on the offer today, these donuts were enjoyed a week or so ago. We all thoroughly enjoyed them – taste and looks! I mean, how fun are these?! There’s not much that’s more fun than funfetti! As a baked donut pro, I must say these turned out beautifully and were incredibly easy to make! Spoil whomever in your life whenever with these…and Happy Father’s Day to all the dads and father figures out there!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp nonfat milk
- 6-8 drops food coloring
- 2 Tbsp rainbow sprinkles, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mist donut pan(s) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder; set aside. In a second bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, vanilla, sugar, and almond milk until well-combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix to combine. Fold in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Pipe or spoon the batter into the donut pan wells, filling two-thirds full. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Allow donuts to cool slightly before flipping onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Meanwhile, mix together the powdered sugar, vanilla, milk, and food coloring in a small bowl until smooth and well-combined.
- Once donuts are completely cooled, dip one side into the glaze and sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles.
Recipe ever so slightly adapted from Fun Happy Home
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 donut
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 4.3gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 31.2gFiber: 0.2gSugar: 19.6gProtein: 2.2g
Looking for more baked donut fun? Have at it!
- Vanilla Glazed Baked Donuts
- Red Velvet Donuts
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Chocolate Glaze
- Double Chocolate Donuts
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts with Maple Cinnamon Glaze
Weekly Menu: June 20th – 23th
- Sunday: burgers on the grill with Strawberry and Kale Quinoa Salad and corn on the cob and Rhubarb Custard Pie
- Monday: Spicy Garlic Soba Noodles with Bok Choy
- Tuesday: Spicy Thai Chicken and Brown Rice Bowls
- Wednesday: dinner out with friends
- Thursday: not sure yet – I have book club, so something fast for the crew