When it rains, it pours. As in, when Mark and I try to book a day date to boat, clearing our calendars of all things work and kid – it rains. Twice now. We should probably give up.
Conversely, if I’m at work, it’s nearly guaranteed to be gorgeous out. OR, as it the case this week, something goes wrong or pulls me away from work. Monday was my car. Tuesday was an infected bug bite on Shea’s face that ended up as cellulitis, and today was a hearing and vision screening for Piper. And unfortunately, she needs to get her hearing re-tested after some time away from swimming since she failed it. Sigh.
I told Mark that perhaps the blessing is that we will end up with a quiet weekend, getting caught up on all things adult. My laundry room floor is littered with overflowing laundry baskets. It’s a little overwhelming. Even the dog is looking at me like, “Uh, mom. This is MY space and soon enough there isn’t going to be anywhere for me to sleep.”
I get like this every summer – this anxiety over summer blasting past me and the missing of too much warmth and fun. My FOMO is over-drive. Summer FOMO – it’s a thing, and I have it something fierce.
Even when it comes to blueberries – FOMO. We you-picked some of the sweetest blueberries and ate most of them. We should’ve picked more to freeze because the store-bought, even though they’re local, are just not the same. Not even close, actually.
In addition to eating a TON of blueberries by the fistful, we also made a few different dishes – this Superfood Broccoli Salad being one of them. I’m a bit fan of all the flavors, textures, and colors. Something about he fruit-and-veg combo is winning in every way. This is a great addition to any summer get together, cookout, or potluck!
Superfood Broccoli and Blueberry Salad
This nutritional powerhouse side dish is chock full of crunch with a perfect balance of savory and sweet!
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets (~large head)
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- ½ cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp warm water
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, blueberries, carrots, diced apricots, red onion, cilantro, toasted almonds, and sunflower seeds; set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over the salad and gently toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe from Half Planet Preserve
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 11.7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 167mgCarbohydrates: 30.9gFiber: 7.6gSugar: 15.7gProtein: 9.0g
Blueberries are in season — take advantage and get creative with them!
- Crustless Blueberry Pie
- Summer Salad with Nectarines, Blueberries, and Chicken
- Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Compote
- Blueberry Arugula Salad with Brown Rice
- Easy Triple Berry Pie