It was a weekend without guests, which is a first in quite some time. I looked forward to a quiet weekend which as it ends up, wasn’t all that quiet. After a CRAZY week at work, I treated myself to a few hours of comp time Friday afternoon. I left work and met Mark for a few short hours of boating before going to pick up the kids from camp and daycare.
Friday evening, we had a new babysitter and headed out for some live entertainment, dinner, and drinks at an outdoor tiki bar and had a nice, relaxing evening. Plus, we scored a new babysitter which is wonderful news because she has 1 year left of high school (most of our usual babysitters are off to college and we’ve been on the hunt for a new few).
Saturday, we lounged around until I got in a workout before heading out to boat with friends. I figured the quiet morning at home was just what the girls needed, especially Shea. However, three hours into the boat day, she was napping on the bow of the boat, sucking her thumb, and completely done. At 4pm.
Needless to say, we had a very quiet night at home that included movie night in the basement. Popcorn and E.T. – the girls were pumped. I figured they were a little young for E.T. but they seemed to have enjoyed it! Almost 5-year-old Piper thought it was a bit scary (and I concur!), but I swear that kid would watch paint dry if it were on a big screen, so there were no complaints during the movie.
Today, I skipped out on church to instead enjoy a 60-minute Peloton ride. We’ve got a bit of a break from hockey, so I’m using the weekend time to aim for some longer rides. I don’t think I properly hydrated or refueled because by the time we left the pool at 4pm, I had a RAGING headache. I was bordering on hangry, and I was so thankful that we had leftovers planned to accompany some take-out tikka masala and naan.
…Except the restaurant never answered their phone and our little tiny town has just that one option for Indian food. WOMP WOMP. Cue all the rage for this mama. We ended up with carry-out from a local pub-brew while I tried to muster the energy to make a second batch of these cookies. I first made them a few weeks ago for guests and I was sure to re-stock on Almond Joys for a repeat. These cookies are SO good! Had I not been in a totally rotten mood, I would’ve most definitely whipped them up. The kids and I will fight over them soon enough, just like any proper coconut lover would do!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut , divided
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp slivered almonds
- 2 Almond Joy candy bars, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes on high. Add the egg, vanilla and coconut extract; beat for 1 minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl half way between.
- Add in flour, salt, and baking soda; mix until combined. Gently fold in 1/2 cup coconut, mini chocolate chips, almonds, and Almond Joy pieces.
- Scoop out the dough into 2 tablespoon heaps and place on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheets.
Recipe from I Heart Nap Time
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 8.3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 21.4gFiber: 1.4gSugar: 13.3gProtein: 1.4g
Weekly Menu: August 22nd – 26th
- Sunday: carry-out
- Monday: Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Chicken with spaghetti
- Tuesday: leftover biryani with chicken tikka masala
- Wednesday: Salmon Tacos
- Thursday: dinner @ a dock party / while boating
Love coconut? Meeeeeee tooo! It’s the best. Check out some other coconutty favorites!
- Toasted Coconut Marshmallows
- Coconut Bliss Bites
- Coconut Shrimp Curry
- Apple-Coconut Breakfast Bowls
- Blueberry-Coconut Smoothie Bowls