Our afterschool babysitter called off sick today, so I raced home from work to get the girls off the bus. I had planned to head to the beach after work for, perhaps, my last beach walk on a 70 degree day. I’m totally bummed…and thankful I tore myself away from my office at lunch to enjoy a 2+ mile walk in the sunshine…
…Because it is looking like fall weather and temperatures are heading our way and our 2021 luck has likely run dry. September and October, thus far, have been pretty awesome weather-wise! Time to hibernate here in Michigan!
In fact, my kids are currently occupying themselves with the lovely Christmas toy catalog Amazon mailed to our home. They each have different colored markers and are circling the things they want MOST. I’m over-hearing the little banter of which toys they want to share (and in which bedroom that said toy will be homed) and, “we can only circle our MOST favorite, Piper! Pick the BEST ones!” Darn cute.
It seems like once Halloween comes, it’s the blink of an eye before Thanksgiving and a second blink before Christmas. It all goes so quickly unless you’re dealing with snow-related travel or school issues, of course. Or those long weekends with kids that are absolutely STIR CRAZY.
In all seriousness, I do appreciate the seasons and all that they bring. I’m a big fan of all things pumpkin and soup, for example. Comfort food – is there anything better? As the fall rolls in, our garden is producing its very final produce. We’ve got quite a bit of zucchini and tomatoes to use up and my herbs are hearty and dense.
This soup was made with the pure intent of putting those garden goods to use and it did not disappoint. Big on flavor and packed with good-for-you ingredients, this comforting soup is filling and makes a ton! It’s sure to please the whole crew and ring in the colder temperatures with the last of summer’s offerings – enjoy!
Healthy Zucchini Tomato Italian Sausage Soup
This soup is chock full of good-for-you ingredients, flavorful herbs, and rich sausage. It's the perfect comfort food with a health-forward edge!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 20 oz sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 lbs zucchini, cut into half moons (about 4 medium)
- 5 tomatoes, diced
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 qts low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 pieces Parmesan rind (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- In a large pot or large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking into a crumble -- about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, and bell pepper; sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until softened, stirring often.
- Move the meat and vegetables to the sides and lower the heat to medium. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and tomato paste to the empty side of the pot and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini, pepper, chicken broth, Parmesan rinds, grated Parmesan, basil, and thyme; stir well.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook uncovered until the vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat and take out the Parmesan rinds before serving.
Recipe from Eat Well 101
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: ~2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 14.9gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 926mgCarbohydrates: 13.7gFiber: 3.9gSugar: 8.4gProtein: 24.0g
Looking for more cozy soups to enjoy? Voila!
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Zesty Italian Soup
- Chicken Soup with Turmeric and Ginger
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup