Did you know that if you take pretty pictures of food that you may just be tapped in for family photog sessions for your friends? Let’s just say: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. CHALLENGE SLAYED. Other than thinking me and my iPhone may be missing our calling in beach photography, I regretfully share that I’ve spent too little time at the beach this year…specifically in the evening.
Again. There are no words for the happiness water and the beach bring me. Sigh…
After 4 days off work, I was up from 2-4am fretting over work. As it ends up, I was completely justified because today was a total CLUSTER. My work day completely owned me and went by in a flash and a blur. I had planned to spend half my lunch break walking and half blogging, but…only an abbreviated portion of the walk came to be.
The evening was spent cooking, baking a peach and blueberry crisp, and making a quadruple batch of pesto because our garden is that impressive. Also impressive? I ate an entire cucumber for lunch. And some Hippeas. And that was all because the day was not my own, that’s for sure.
The peach and blueberry crisp I whipped up tonight featured the last of our fresh peaches for the season. But holy smokes, the crop this year did not disappoint. They were huge and perfectly juicy, and oh so sweet! Whipping up a salad that is so perfectly summer was only one of the ways we enjoyed peaches this year.
To appease my meat-loving husband and my vegetarian 7-year-old, this salad offered a bit for everyone, whether eaten as suggested, or eaten in a deconstructed way. I must encourage the hunt for gourmet flavored vinegars that take this vinaigrette next-level, but truly any white balsamic with a little sugar (as directed) will do! The colors, crunch, and nutritional punch of this one makes it a summer must-make!
Peach and Blueberry Summer Salad with Mozzarella and Chicken
Packed with everything perfectly summer with enough staying power to be a completely satisfying summer meal!
- 4 (4 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 6 cups chopped butter or head lettuce
- 2 ripe peaches, pitted, and sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 oz mini mozzarella balls
Peach Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup peach-flavored* or white balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Combine chicken and Italian dressing in a gallon-sized plastic bag or large bowl; turn to coat chicken on all sides. Cover or close and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Arrange chicken on a parchment lined baking sheet or casserole dish. Bake for 25 minutes; remove from oven and set aside to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients in a mason jar with a fitted lid or small bowl; shake or whisk vigorously to combine.
- Place lettuces in a large bowl and drizzle with half the dressing; toss to combine.
- Add peaches, blueberries, onion, pecans, and mozzarella; drizzle with half of the remaining dressing (reserving a bit); toss to combine.
- Serve sliced chicken over top of salad and drizzle with remaining dressing.
*specialty olive oil and vinegar stores sell these types of super tasty vinegars that tend to be higher in sugar and BIG on flavor!
Recipe adapted from The Stay at Home Chef
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 579Total Fat: 39.8gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 783mgCarbohydrates: 28.5gFiber: 6.5gSugar: 20.2gProtein: 31.5g
Summer salads…there’s not much better! INSPO!
- Blackened Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Citrus-Herb Dressing
- Strawberry and Avocado Chicken Salad with Crispy Fried Goat Cheese and Lemon Poppyseed Vinaigrette
- Chicken Caesar with a Twist
- Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Miso Dressing
- Crispy Italian Chicken and Bacon Salads with Tahini Pesto Dressing and Sourdough Croutons
- Tex-Mex Chicken Chopped Salad
- Chimichurri Steak and Vegetable Salad
Weekly Menu: August 21st – 25th
- Sunday: leftovers
- Monday: Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta with Basil Ricotta
- Tuesday: Tofu Fajitas with Grilled Salsa
- Wednesday: Greek Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Thursday: leftover/out