I had the biggest hangover today. Not an ACTUAL hangover, but a terrible, no-good launch back into reality after a long weekend trip to northern Michigan. Being off work on Thursday and Friday was glorious. The weather was fall PERFECTION and we traveled with our family’s friends, living up Michigan life. Harlie, too. Our old lady bulldog who was graciously permitted by the Airbnb (she did amazing and loved it!).
The girls got in the lake when it was 51 degrees outside. Ahhh!
We did breweries. Distilleries. Moomers ice cream. Hikes. Runs. Parks. Pizza. Touristy stuff. Homemade breakfasts…and dinners. S’mores by the fire. Laughs. Lots of laughs. Very little sleep. Perhaps less sleep for the kids.
Like I said, today was a hangover. Big time.
One of my highlights from the weekend was watching dual screen Big 10 football with wins for Michigan (yay for our friends and one of our state teams) and for Illinois (YAY for us!). We sat outside and just enjoyed the indoor-outdoor action with one TV pointed outside to the beautiful deck and the other (an iPad, but still!) set-up outside. I had a beer and just…enjoyed the views of both football and the lake. Totally my vibe, hoodie and all.
If I were to do it over again, I’d have planned on chili up north for the game. There’s nothing like chili and football and truly, that was the reason this whole chili contest came to be…13 years ago. I’m as big an Illini fan…and chili fan then as I am now.
Plus, my kids like chili. All kinds of chili. New-to-us bison chili was no exception. I loved the smoky chipotle flavors with the unique and most enjoyable flavors of bison. My (not-so-vegetarian vegetarian) oldest also enjoyed it, and Piper, too, of course! The crema is the perfect addition and it’s a solid contender for this year’s winning recipe!
Bison Chipotle Chili with Lime Crema
This chili is rustic and smoky with the meat-bean-chili powder action I love! Chipotles add that smoky flavor that is perfectly accented by the crema! Delish!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, zested and half juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add bison and season with the salt and pepper. Brown meat until nearly cooked through, breaking up with a wooden spoon into a crumble as it cooks.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, chipotle chili powder, broth, tomatoes, and chipotle chiles in adobo. Stir until well-combined.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; stir in black beans, and simmer partially covered for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt with lime zest and juice of half of the lime; stir until well-combined.
- Serve chili with crema, cilantro, and green onions.
Recipe adapted from Cooking on the Ranch by Kathryn M.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 17.0gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 982mgCarbohydrates: 33.3gFiber: 11.3gSugar: 8.0gProtein: 36.3g
Looking for more GREAT chili? These have been some killer chili contest submissions of the past!
- 2020 Winner: Captain’s Chili
- 2015 Winner: Liz’s Chili
- 2019 Winner: Vegan Red Chili
- 2010 Winner: Turkey and Black Bean Chili
- 2016 Winner: Short Rib Boeuf Bourguignon Chili
- 2018 Winner: Beef, Chorizo, and Bean Taco Chili
Weekly Menu: October 2nd – 6th
- Sunday: Homemade Roasted Marinara Sauce with spaghetti and steamed broccoli
- Monday: leftover chicken tacos and quesadillas with corn and black beans
- Tuesday: Peanutty Noodles with extra bell peppers
- Wednesday: out for Shea’s birthday (a day early)!
- Thursday: leftovers – both girls have soccer