Is anyone looking at their December calendars and hyperventilating a bit? My brother is having his second child late December (c-section scheduled 12/27), so I’m sure they’re a little more panicked over the end of 2022 than I…but I’m run-of-the-mill anxious over the insanity of year end. And it’s all fun things so as much as I’d like to think I’m capable of picking and choosing…FOMO is real!
Also, did the world forget about Cyber Monday or was I just too busy to dig deep into the interwebs for all the best deals? Drop them here if it’s not too late! 😉
This weekend, we did very little. Thank you, rain. And other than planning our weekly menu working around the absence of an oven yet again — our toaster oven is a champ and my toaster oven skills are officially impressive — I also planned my holiday baking.
Also impressive? The goal I scored last night. Back hand, top shelf tip. But I know, that’s really neither here nor there. I just had to insert a little brag!
I have three very specific recommendations:
- The Sex Lives of College Girls on HBO Max
- The Miles High book series (warning: SMUT)
- This salad
I REPEAT: this salad. It is listed last but only for purposes of writing. It belongs at the top of the list. Mark was so not pumped about this salad and a few bites in, was giving me allllll the words of affirmation I seek. You’re welcome!
He says he’s not a kale fan, but a massage kale? It’s next-level. And add to that subtly sweet butternut squash, sweet-tart pomegranate with the juicy crunch, crisp apple, savory almonds, and creamy goat cheese? Holy smokes, this fall meal is a vegetarian one that has it all. Serve as a main or a side – it’s perfect for fall and holiday time (hey, that rhymes!). Enjoy!
- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 large bunch of kale (~12 oz), ribs removed and thinly chopped
- 1 pomegranate, arils removed (~1 cup arils)
- 1 large apple, cored and diced
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prick butternut squash with a fork in 6-8 places around the surface. Microwave for 5-6 minutes; remove and allow to cool slightly before peeling and dicing the squash into 3/4-inch cubes; place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the squash and sprinkle with half the salt and black pepper; toss and arrange in a single layer. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned, tossing halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, bring rice and water to a boil over medium-high heat in a small sauce pan. Stir and reduce heat to low, cover and cook for approximately 50 minutes or according to package directions.
- Place kale in a large bowl and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Use your hands to massage the kale until tender and bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all ingredients into a mason jar with a fitted lid and shake vigorously to combine or alternatively, whisk ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Assemble the salads by tossing the kale with most of the dressing until well-coated. Add the pomegranate, apple, goat cheese, almonds, and butternut squash. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve.
Recipe ever so slightly adapted from Kneading Home
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 18.5gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 442mgCarbohydrates: 54.0gFiber: 12.2gSugar: 18.0gProtein: 10.5g
Salad stunners? Voila!
- Blackened Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Citrus-Herb Dressing
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Skewer Salad
- Cajun Shrimp Cobb Salad
- Chicken Caesar with a Twist
- Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Miso Dressing
- Crispy Italian Chicken and Bacon Salads with Tahini Pesto Dressing and Sourdough Croutons
- Tex-Mex Chicken Chopped Salad
- Chimichurri Steak and Vegetable Salad
Weekly Menu: November 27th – December 1st
- Sunday: Thanksgiving leftovers
- Monday: “Fried” Chicken with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes
- Tuesday: leftovers/something from the freezer
- Wednesday: Shrimp Caesar Salad with a Twist
- Thursday: Teriyaki Salmon Bowl