My body is so confused.
Yesterday was October 5th and in Michigan, the temperatures reached 80 degrees. EIGHTY!
It was hot and muggy and my allergies have been TERRIBLE. As in, I’ve been miserable. Want-to-rip-my-nose-off-and-scratch-out-my-eyes miserable. And hopped up on allergy meds that make me foggy, groggy, and lazy. Yet, I worked out 6 days this week – woo!
But the house was open, willing any type of breeze inside, as the oven remained on for the majority of the day as I cranked out cookbook recipes right and left. No breeze was to be had and so I spent most of the day sweating profusely…and sniffling.
Not only that, but I was up at 5:15am on Friday…and not until 9am yesterday.
This near 4-hour swing in rise times has my body completely confused. I know I should be thinking, “Yay, I’m making up for lost sleep!” but my old age has me thinking, “Sleeping in late is going to make 5:15am on Monday all the more brutal, Nicole. Get. Up. NOW.”
You just can’t win, can you? So, I compromise. Up late on Saturday, up…earlier Sundays.
These aren’t real problems…I recognize this.
Kind of like the night I went to make this recipe and didn’t realize the shrimp had to marinate for a bit. In all honesty, I let them marinade for just about 10 minutes while I prepped the Jalapeno Ranch Sauce and everything from that point came together in under 10 minutes making this a very FAST dinner. A fast dinner that is perfect, even in this fall Michigan heat wave!
Good thing. I want to eat them over and over again. Mr. P, too. These were a HIT!
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice of one lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp chili powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 6 Tbsp 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 jalapeno, roasted, peeled and seeded
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp lowfat buttermilk
- ¼ tsp dried parsley flakes
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp seasoned salt
- ⅛ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- pinch of dried thyme
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, garlic and chili powder, and cayenne in a bowl; whisk well. Add shrimp to bowl, toss to coat, and marinate for up to 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, combine all the jalapeno ranch ingredients in a small bowl, mixing until smooth.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook 4-5 minutes, or until cooked through.
- To assemble tacos, layer shrimp, shredded lettuce, tomatoes and cheese in each tacos and top with jalapeno ranch sauce. Serve immediately.
Weekly Menu: October 6th – 10th
- Sunday: Pumpkin Soup
- Monday: Beef Burgundy from Slow Cooker Revolution
- Tuesday: leftovers
- Wednesday: cookbook recipe
- Thursday: Vegetable Lo Mein
Gearing up for another productive day in the kitchen! And…hockey practice and a game. Back-to-back – eeeep!