February needs to be over already – and it’s a leap year. Ugh. An extra day this month to suffer through. This month has been a disaster. Other than the birth of my friend’s beautiful daughter, I’m struggling to say one positive thing about this month.
I’m stressed. I’m ornery. And I am still not feeling 100% well.
Worse, my little one is REALLY sick. The kind of sick that makes her miserable to be around because you feel so incredibly helpless.
When I took her temperature this morning, it was 99.1 F. A bit higher than usual, but nothing concerning. I dropped her off at daycare around 8:20am and by 9am, daycare was calling for me to come pick her up. Her fever had spiked.
When I showed up at the daycare, her friends were coughing in one nasty chorus. All of them! Germs are everywhere waiting to pounce. It’s amazing to me that her teachers seem healthy and well. A miracle, really, given what I witnessed.
Let me pause and try to think of something positive to type.
I love hummus. However, I don’t eat it very often because frankly, 2 tablespoons is hard to stop at. Impossible, really. And even 1/4 cup is almost a tease. And as much as I love hummus on veggies, it’s really good on pita.
When I ran across this easy, easy, easy recipe that called for lots of hummus, I had to give it a shot. Ready in a handful of minutes, it is packed with flavor and lots of good-for-you ingredients. Winner, winner chicken dinner 😉
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 (4 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup prepared hummus
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large baking dish, toss together the zucchini, squash, and onions. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt and black pepper. Spread vegetables evenly over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer chicken in an even layer on top of the vegetables and season with remaining ¼ salt and black pepper. Spread hummus over each chicken breast until coated completed. Squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken and sprinkle the top with smoked paprika.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Serve immediately.