I always enjoy reading what’s in vogue in the world of food. In small-town Michigan, we get only a taste (no pun intended) and it’s guaranteed to lag months, even years, behind the foodie “capitals” of world, like New York City. I mean, we have a gourmet cupcake shop…that counts for something, right? Except cupcakes are so 2010.
But not really, because…CUPCAKES!
Then there was bacon – bacon, bacon, bacon. Bacon cookies, bacon ice cream, bacon errrrrrrthang. Then jerky – turkey jerky, venison jerky, chicken jerky, duck jerky, salmon jerky, bison jerky, yada yada yada.
And donuts (but really, donuts are ALWAYS trendy in my heart).
Then there’s craft beer which is the #1 best thing to happen to the food and beverage industry. This girl loves hops. I may live in small town Michigan, but so long as that remains within 10 miles of 10 breweries, I will forever be happy here. Plus, I mean, beautiful Lake Michigan only helps.
But overnight oats are sooo…2010. Or maybe even 2009.
When did I jump on the bandwagon? February 2017. Oops. However, I’m here to say…MY LOSS! As someone who’s all for quick, easy, and healthy, I am slightly devastated to not have had overnight oats in my life all these years. A food blog going strong since 2009 and yet, here’s the first overnight oat recipe.
If you’re all, “Overnight oats are old news, woman!” – sorry! But maybe you love coconut like me and you’d love these, too? Or maybe it’s the oats + yogurt that make these so creamy and rich. Hope you love’em, too!
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2½ cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 6 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, chia seeds, almond milk, and maple syrup. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- After refrigerating, mix in the Greek yogurt and coconut. Serve with additional (toasted) coconut, if desired.
Weekly Menu: February 26th – March 2nd
- Sunday: Sesame Chicken Noodles from Cravings with roasted Brussels sprouts and cauliflower
- Monday: Spicy Cajun Sausage, Peppers, and Cabbage from Cravings
- Tuesday: leftovers
- Wednesday: Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu with roasted Brussels sprouts and potatoes
- Thursday: English muffin pizzas, salad