I’m not really used to living in a small town. I haven’t learned that when I look like COMPLETE crap, I’m going to run into someone I know. Or am in no condition to meet.
When I rough it going to the grocery store, I run into a VP at the hospital.
When I skip doing my hair or make-up and throw on workout clothes to head to lunch, we run into a head honcho at Mr. P’s place of work.
It’s like Murphy’s Law. What the heck?
Last weekend, when I was at the farmer’s market serving up healthy recipes with my co-worker, we weren’t expecting a TON of people. It’s now September, the weather looked threatening, and the vacationers from Chicago are long gone from this side of the lake.
But…the market was swarming with people and they were sure ready to eat. Many of the people were patients and coworkers making it all the more fun.
We served up this Apple Salsa on cinnamon pita chips and cinnamon graham crackers and as soon as I tasted it, I knew I wanted to make it into a parfait. Truly, it’s incredibly versatile, and could be enjoyed any number of ways including just as it is, like a salad versus a salsa. Up to you!
Also at the market last weekend, one of the ER doctors’ wife and daughter happened to stop by our booth. His daughter was skeptical to try our creations, but we eventually convinced her to do so. She took one bite of the salsa and said, “That’s the best thing I’ve ever tasted!!” as she trotted off to tell her mom that she had to make the salsa at home.
People were also ga-ga for the Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip.
Whether I know them or not, it’s fun running into people you know in various places. All the better when you can share with them a healthy recipe! Also all the better when I look presentable 😉
- 3 apples, cored and diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- ¾ cup grapes, quartered
- ⅓ cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- In a medium bowl, mix the apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts; toss well.
- Drizzle the orange juice over the top of the apple mixture and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon; mix well.
- Serve ~1 cup apple salsa with ¾ cup yogurt, layered into a parfait. Refrigerate leftover salsa.
Weekly Menu: September 29th – October 3rd
- Sunday: Mole Chili
- Monday: Shrimp Tacos with Jalapeno Ranch
- Tuesday: cookbook
- Wednesday: Cream of Pumpkin Soup
- Thursday: out with friends
Cookbooking today….11 recipes to go! I can see the finish line!