We’re leaving 88 degree Cabo San Lucas for 30’s and grey in the Midwest. It has been 5 days of REAL fruit strawberry smoothies, guacamole poolside (truly, is there anything better than that?), a bit of vitamin D, and kicking my own butt on the treadmill since my conversion from miles to kilometers was a little off. Literally, my butt felt kicked. Walking at 4.35 miles per hour for an hour when your legs are really freakin’ short and the workout room is a steamy 75+ degrees…it’ll have you feeling the burn. Or the kick. Whatever.
But don’t feel bad for me at all, whatsoever. I worked out to earn my poolside mocktails. Feel less bad for me that this was our third trip to Cabo — have we mentioned we LOVE Cabo? I bought a shirt that says so. I’m passionately obsessed with this place. Apparently, Michiganers need a break from the harsh realities of living in Michigan. And work (even if I logged in every day, anyway). And all that other jazz. We’re living it up as a DINK couple (double income, no kids). DINKS, Mr. Prevention calls us. I love kids, but vacation with kids doesn’t look nearly as relaxing as our all-inclusive, adult-only resort filled with pure serenity.
We got massages for $25/hour. Score. The place itself was a little sketch, but…$25/hour! And they did great. If there weren’t others waiting, we’d have requested a second hour right then and there. It was, perhaps, the highlight of the trip. With the exception of guacamole and strawberry smoothies poolside.
Yeah, I just may have to miss my flight and stay a few more weeks. At least.
If I do make my flight, at least I have a semi-tropical and healthy snack for the travels back to reality. I wisely stuffed a few of these Coconut-Almond Bars into my carry-on before we left. It’s a bonus for me that Mr. P hates coconut – I’m not fond of sharing these babies. I am fond, however, of re-sharing them on my blog. It’s been nearly 4 years since they first appeared and they’re still a favorite!
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup 40% less fat coconut shreds
- ½ cup honey
- 2 Tbsp wheat germ
- ½ cup whole almonds
- ½ cup almond slivers
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix coconut (unsweetened and 40% less fat), honey, and wheat germ together in a medium bowl. Stir in almonds (whole and slivers). Mix until blended well.
- Spray a 8 x 8 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spread mixture, pressing firmly to the bottom of the pan, leveling the surface with a spatula coated in cooking spray. Bake 20-25 minutes, until surface is browned.
- Let pan cool to room temperature. Once firmed up, transfer the 8 x 8 contents to a cutting board. Cut into 8 even portions. Wrap in wax paper to preserve.
I guuuuesssssss I’ll see you in the bitter cold…with a sun-kissed glow. Still, though…GRUMBLE.