I have been a mom for 5 days and I think I’ve experienced every emotion and feeling under the sun. Complete euphoria, exhaustion, frustration, pain, tearfulness, excitement…everything. Literally. I listened to all the advice given to me as a new-mom-to-be, but kind of like labor, there’s really no preparing oneself for this type of a life change. I’ve cried more today than I have in years, I’d guess. I called my mom just to cry. My friend and also new parent called to check-in…and I cried just giving a baby update.
On the plus side, after you give birth, your post-baby body sure feels ultra thin…even if it’s very far from reality 😉
As Mr. Prevention and I were walking through the grocery store tonight with the baby, he joked that this is our new Saturday night outing. I said, in all seriousness, that I’m okay with that as long as we’re together. And then I cried. And cried a little more as I glanced down at Shea as she cooed…and cried some more. I’m so glad the store was pretty empty and no one saw.
I then laughed and cried a bit more as I described to Mr. Prevention my first public diaper change. I’m such a newbie, let’s just say that much…
I’ve also learned the importance of timing with an infant. Granted, 80% of my days are spent breastfeeding and/or pumping, but the other 20% is a toss up between trying to sleep some and trying to squeeze in productivity – laundry, dishes, blogging…whatever. I’m also sorely regretting not heeding the advice of others (and Pinterest) and throwing together freezer meals. Things are going to be verrrry basic for awhile in terms of cooking/eating.
Mr. Prevention goes back to work on Monday and I am so overwhelmed with just the thought of having to taking Shea back to the pediatrician by myself that day. And I plan to take Shea in to work on Tuesday which will be a several hour adventure. I’m a nervous wreck already.
As much as I looked for quick and easy meals pre-baby, the need for such meals has multiplied infinitely. Cooking, like everything else, sounds like such an overwhelming feat at the moment. Quick meals like this are required!
- 8 oz uncooked lo mein noodles
- 1½ Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1½ tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 3-4 green onions, sliced
- Cook lo mein according to package directions. Keep hot.
- Meanwhile, whisk to combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, sriracha, ginger, and sesame oil; set aside.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Once hot, add the crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant. Add the lightly beaten eggs and scramble for 2-3 minutes; remove to a small plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Once hot, add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or just until firm and bright pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a clean plate; set aside. Add zucchini to the pan, increase heat to high; stir fry until just charred; about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add drained noodles to the skillet along with the cooked egg, shrimp, and prepared sauce. Turn the heat on to medium-low, and stir until everything is coated well with the sauce. Sprinkle the sliced green onions and cilantro over top and serve immediately.
Thank you for all your Shea love! I am emotional but I am definitely blessed with this beautiful baby girl!