I’ve hit a good run here lately with recipes. I’ve had no major flops and better yet, we’ve both loved all the dinners I’ve chosen and prepared lately. Now, this wouldn’t normally come as a big surprise in most households, but I very rarely make a recipe more than once and so we always run the risk of not liking what’s prepared. There’s always cold cereal, scrambled eggs, or take-out, right? 😉
And while we’re not picky at all whatsoever…some meals are just simply better than others.
I am normally all about a meal out over the weekends. I like to get out and have someone else do the cooking and the dishes for a little reprieve. But after last week, I was whipped. It’s a miracle I was even awake come dinnertime on Friday.
Mr. Prevention, however…not so much. He went to the casino with his friend and when he crawled into bed, the clock was very near to 4am. You can probably guess who does nighttime baby duty in our house 😉 I can promise you it has been nearly a decade since I’ve seen 4am…if ever.
The casino outing was after we had gone out for dinner…with the baby. She slept the entire time (and I remained awake the entire time) and so we definitely lucked out. The only thing better than having someone else do the cooking and dishes is being able to enjoy the meal that has been prepared for you with kiddo-free arms and while still hot. 😉
Truth be told, I would’ve been just as happy with leftovers as I was with our quiet Mexican dinner out. That’s when you know dinners have been really good…you want the leftovers in lieu of dinner out. So rather than Friday night, I had leftover Stuffed Pepper Soup on Saturday for lunch.
I had high hopes for this recipe as it has been passed around some of my blog friends, as well as a part of the Secret Recipe Club where I’ve stumbled upon several past favorites. The soup did not disappoint. Filling and full of whole grain, lean protein, and vegetables, there’s nothing not to love about this incredibly simple, yet full-flavored soup!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1⅓ lbs 90% lean ground beef
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup long grain brown rice, uncooked
- 32 oz low-sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking up with a wooden spoon; drain.
- Add green pepper and onion and cook 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add the remaining ingredients (tomato sauce through pepper) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.